ID:1983238

BYOND Version:509.1314
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 46.0.2490.86
Applies to:Webclient

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Movement can be a little weird in the webclient at random points in time, for no discernible reason. Basically it just loses the smoothness and fluidity that you can ordinarily see in normal DreamSeeker:

[DreamSeeker]

[Webclient] (Problem Shown)

[Webclient] (When the player first joins, there's no problem. It seems to degenerate over time though)

You can view this bug for yourself at http://www.byond.com/games/WritingANewOne/EterniaPrologue -- among a wide plethora of other bugs with Eternia's webclient.
To clarify, our method of smoothing movement is such:

proc/get_speed_delay(n)
return (world.icon_size * world.tick_lag) / (! n ? 1 : n) //prevents divide by 0

proc/get_glide_size(n, dir)
if(dir & (dir - 1)) //diagonal
return n + (n >> 1) //n / 2 is n >> 1
else //cardinal
return n

// Usage:
var speed = 5
step(atom, EAST)
atom.glide_size = get_glide_size(speed, atom.dir)

sleep(get_speed_delay(speed))
step(atom, NORTH)
atom.glide_size = get_glide_size(speed, atom.dir)
I don't see the difference between the DS and the webclient-problem images. Can you clarify what I should be seeing there?
Movement starts to get laggy and choppy for no discernible reason.

Like on ss13, in the webclient i can move thru cargo near the end of the round, where there are lots of items on the ground and on racks and tables, all visible as separate items, no issue, but if i start to move thru space, that has nothing other than a space tile on it it's super laggy.

I was actually doing some tests earlier to see if I could figure out a rhyme or reason, but none so far.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I don't see the difference between the DS and the webclient-problem images. Can you clarify what I should be seeing there?

http://i.imgur.com/uTbpPRO.gifv

In the webclient, you can clearly see that at times the AI will sort of 'bounce' while following instead of smooth movement with no stuttering. This is also an issue in Severed World, though the code it uses is essentially the same as Eternia's for this.

At first I assumed it was just a FPS issue, but then Doohl told me he gets the same choppy AI movement (despite his FPS being 50-60).
In response to Pixel Realms
Can you see if CPU spikes or its normal when that happens?
By "boumce" do you mean it's jumping in and out of a movement state? That's the only thing I can make out for sure in that picture.
Yeah, the noticeable stuttering when AI follow is distinct to the webclient.