ID:1985063

(See the best response by Konlet.)
I've been playing and working on BYOND games for half a decade now, and can firmly say I have no skill with iconning and mapping. I wish to rectify this oversight in my skillset, and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Anyone got some advice to offer me?
Best response
Well, art and mapping is more on the design part of development. It's definitely proven more difficult to pick up for the most of us, including myself, however with dedication and given time you can achieve many things with focus and the proper tools.

If you're looking to only gain skills with digital art, simply studying art is one of the most important points. Starting by trying to create synthetic designs like shapes and such, then move on to more difficult subjects like shading.

As far as mapping goes, just look how the layout of 'map's are in other 2D games. Repetitive patterns sometimes are acceptable, but if you want the world to look more alive, there's some key elements to support that despite the value of what it really is, computer drawings.
There's nothing unique to BYOND about iconning and mapping. There are several good pixel art tutorials off-site. Mapping is just common sense.