ID:1986373

At the moment your choices are: BYOND membership, donate.

I've already got a membership for plenty of time, as do my friends, and most people who frequent the forums.

I also enjoy getting things for my money, I don't enjoy giving it away.

Having said that, I want to support BYOND as best I can, and I feel like there is room to add more avenues for me to throw my money down, where I get something in return.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Competitions with good rewards.
I think this would be a good idea but I don't see what byond could offer
BYOND shop, I want that BYOND shirt
Honestly I'd wear a shirt with BYOND's logo on it and/or "Herd u got codez?".
The BYOND shop ended up costing more to run than it ever made, that's why it's gone.
do it from home, im sure someone here is crafty
I want a BYOND baseball cap and hoodie. Always have.
I want a physical copy of the Blue Book. :(
Maybe selling tile-sets that come loaded in a demo for anyone to just copy, paste, and use? Lummox could probably just purchase a set then re-sell it to the community or something, maybe even having a few free sets. would promote some newbies to start their own games, from scratch, as well.
In response to LordAndrew
I have two :D
In follow up to Zagros, Offer "professional" resources from members or something as a purchase, art or framework stuff
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
Lummox could probably just purchase a set then re-sell it to the community or something

Very few licensing agreements would allow for such a thing. In order to do this, Lummox would probably have to outright commission pieces and pay for the rights to them, which would be very expensive for decent quality art.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Zagros5000 wrote:
Lummox could probably just purchase a set then re-sell it to the community or something

Very few licensing agreements would allow for such a thing. In order to do this, Lummox would probably have to outright commission pieces and pay for the rights to them, which would be very expensive for decent quality art.

Wouldn't be an issue with CC-BY; products. Although that's more of a community thing(as in artists within the community concocting an art-style something simplistic) and then making it Creative Commons Attributed.

Edit: Or just a hired pixel artist in general, creating a style simplistic enough to be used by beginner or intermediate level artists/simplistic art-resources. Due, to the art-styles simplicity users could submit art-works to be included in the resource. Something like the LPC-Artstyle on opengameart.org

Screenshot

Source: http://lpc.opengameart.org/

Release as a CC-BY-NA licenced art product allow for commercial use upon purchase. I believe RPG Maker does something similar, don't quote me on it though.

Edit: I should have said CC-BY instead of CC-BY-NA
Start a youtube channel.
In response to WeabooGamesInc
It might not be an issue, but I think these licenses typically apply to derivative works, not just redistribution. I'm not a lawyer, and I'm looking through the license to try and put the pieces together and figure out exactly what is allowed, but I feel that just paying for them and trying to resell them would at minimum fall in a gray area for a CC license.

As for RPG Maker, I'm 99% sure you're allowed to use their pre-supplied graphics with the caveat that you use it in an RPG Maker game. You can sell it with the game, but you can't, for example, just outright sell the artwork by itself, or use the artwork in a game that doesn't use the RPG Maker engine.

[Edit]

As for CC, I think the important sections (using this as my reference point), are 1(a), 2(a)(4), and 2(a)(5). They seem to be the ones that would specifically restrict this sort of thing, i.e. your work has to really qualify as a derivative work before you could sell it.
Maybe lummox could set up a system where artists from BYOND could create icon packs and sell them under a semi-moderated section on the forums, byond would get a large percent of all sales.

something more formal and noticeable than just the dev-resources page
I feel like managing such a system would be a huge drain on BYOND's staff and finances, most artists wouldn't want to work for free and administrating copyright would be a major hassle.

Not a good idea, need more gooder ideas.
In response to Rushnut
It wouldn't be for free, and supplying resources for newbie developers is far from a waste of time.

The only other thing I could see BYOND making revenue off of is re-adding member benefits - which would end up being counter productive in getting more developers to use the engine
Right no, I understand the good intentions behind the idea, but the issue is that it's supposed to be making money, and having Lummox dip into the already VERY dwindling BYONDfund even if only a little, is already counterproductive to that end.

Member benefits were nice, but the drain they had on the server didn't warrant the upkeep, and again, I'm looking for things to spend my money on, I already have a membership.
Page: 1 2