In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
I understand your argument, but in this thread I explain it would be nice for BYOND to have new things to spend money on.

To paraphrase.

I already have a membership, my friends do, and I don't enjoy giving money for nothing in return.

Microtransactions pls.

...We already have microtransactions. They are called credits and everyone on this site pretends that they don't exist.

I just don't understand why everyone's suggestions for making money is stuff that either a) Already failed to make money (Blogs, etc). or b) would only be attractive to the same group of 50 people that come here just to shit all over each other. You know, the same people who are complaining about how much is being milked out of them for "nothing in return" when Lummox actually puts his full energy into the engine... For free.

One of these days he should put the web services dark and replace it with a page that says: "Development/Hosting isn't cheap! Consider donating. We'll be back in 24 hours. You could try playing outside."

And then we'll see how much you guys always take for granted. Because nobody actually seems to have understood the reason that Tom left. (Tip: This exact conversation was a big part of it)

Are completely retarded/redundant suggestions for other peoples' business models as mentally taxing to come up with as they are to read?

You decide. More at 11.
In response to Ter13
I don't intend to come across as, ahem "And then we'll see how much you guys always take for granted." or... "people who are complaining about how much is being milked out of them for "nothing in return"".

I am neither of these classes of people, I am simply a humble man that enjoys BYOND and doesn't like spending money on nothing. I desire to have somewhere I can get something in return for my money.

It has nothing to do with me shitting on people, or Blogs, or how much I take for granted, I never said any of that or implied any of it. Infact quite the opposite, I know how much I value BYOND, and I wish I had more ways of helping funding it. I just have strict personal rules against giving out money for free and/or what equate to handouts.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
...We already have microtransactions. They are called credits and everyone on this site pretends that they don't exist.

Had to Google, couldn't find anything obvious about these fabled things.

From what I can see Credits are only game-related. If I want to pay for a subscription to a game, great! BYOND offers that!

But I want to spend money that goes to the development of BYOND, not the games on it. Which I guess is kinda counter productive, but I'm more than open to both. Ideally BYOND would have a major hit game that gives us billions in ad revenue and sub revenue, until that moment arrives, some way to reliably give money with something in return is practically a must.

In response to Ter13
when he said microtransactions I'm 100% sure he's talking about for the byond site itself not for game developers I'm 100% sure.

So do we get credits for being members or something? Course not completely off. Willing to turn anything to argument.
In response to Ter13
my last membership.

I'm literally asking for things to BUY and still being argued with. 👉🚪
In response to Bloo Pikmin
Bloo Pikmin wrote
I'm literally asking for things to BUY and still being argued with.

Heh. This made me chuckle.

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
$50 have any comment you want deleted.

I know all those were said in jest, but this one is so mild by comparison that I have to admit it's moderately tempting.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
$50 have any comment you want deleted.

I know all those were said in jest, but this one is so mild by comparison that I have to admit it's moderately tempting.
This is exactly why I refuse to donate and give shit out for free he only pays attention to the bullshit the argument mongerers type up and nothing productive.
Crowd pleaser.

I'm off of this post.
Of course I'm being facetious as well; I wouldn't take that idea seriously either. That'd be silly.

Truth be told, I appreciate your position and Rushnut's. The issue is, most of the suggestions that are made for improving membership benefits tend to boil down to expensive web/hub stuff that don't end up being the incentives they're meant to be. If I knew of a feature that would guarantee a doubling of membership numbers, without the backward move of returning to a half-formed social media site, I'd jump on it.

Ter is right that microtransactions do exist, though. We have credits already, which can be used for selling all kinds of content in any published game you make. The old BYONDimes system did allow for things like selling download access to a hub entry, but the flip side of that was that it generated a lot of bad, bad overhead; the credit system is much more reasonably structured.
We're talking about micro trans for the site. But thanks. I was already aware.

Y'all could be making premade sources y'all could be doing so much but nothing is being sold.

I'm not trying to sound rude or demanding but isn't it true?

We aren't even hip to videos yet.
The vast majority of BYOND's user base do not use the forums. Very little money can be made off of the ~50 or so active 'internal' community members, and those outside of the development community are unlikely to be interested in merchandise or website benefits.

With this in mind, time is best spent on the software. Cuts in game revenue and the ads are always going to be how BYOND pays its bills.
In response to Bloo Pikmin
I wanna start off by saying I agree with the general idea of more to spend on, but unfortunately it's trickier than it seems.

I mean there isn't really a 'y'all' anymore, in my opinion. Just Lummox. Unless you mean the Moderators. If you do then disregard the following, but if you don't... Then true, but how much time will that take away from improving the software? Probably a lot, which causes more problems.

As for videos, that's entirely on the community in my opinion. Some have tried, others have started doing trailers for their games, but beyond that what is BYOND supposed to do? Should Lummox just start spending his time recording how to program videos? or paying others to? No money to pay others, no time for him to do it.

As for micro transactions, most things that could be sold would cost too much hosting wise to offer. If anyone could come up with stuff that doesn't, then we're getting somewhere, but otherwise the biggest incentive for memberships has and always will be in-game benefits, and the only other expense incentive will always be in-game subs. And those should be working far more than they are!

Now if only people could get out there and make some games worth buying those in...Hm... Oh, right. I should get back to work on doing that. I do love these announcements though, always good to see what everyones thinking, Especially Lummox.
Bit of donations are being asked for in the bar isn't filled at the end of every month then those ads are clearly not enough. We can do a ton of things to selling pre-made sources to being more active on YouTube to make at revenue from there as well through the help of tutorials.

Premade sources is the best route a lot of other gaming engines use this room so people can dive into the developing faster and they are usually given examples of what they want to make. Good example unity has a side scroller example it also has a RPG example in a ton of others we don't have this we have libraries made by us.

I'm using my phone speech recognition so I may sound a little off.
Premade source for what, though, and to what end?

Any RPG worth its salt will pretty much want to start fresh. For other sorts of games, starting from a template is useless. There are a million ways to do all kinds of things in the sorts of games BYOND is best at making, and starting from someone else's source and working outward is the main thing most developers do wrong. SS13 is pretty much the only counterexample.

There are tutorials aplenty out there, easily accessible, and a tutorial is a much better way to go. I have neither the time nor the insight to contribute anything of value in that area; the best resources have always been contributed by players anyway.
I'll wait till I get home to my computer
I just have strict personal rules against giving out money for free and/or what equate to handouts.

Let's dissect this logically.

1) Money is earned in exchange for time doing labor. Therefore your labor is widely considered to have a monetary value.

2) Lummox puts time into the engine. Lummox would be able to put less time into the engine were it less profitable.

3) By donating, you are reaffirming Lummox's continued work on the engine.

4) You receive the benefits of Lummox's continued work on the engine.

5) You gain enjoyment from the engine.

Money -> Time -> Enjoyment.

BYOND is a tangible product, not some intangible service that has no cost. If this weren't the case, you wouldn't be paying for the majority of the intangible experiences (games) that you so willingly part with $60 for to have a paltry 100-ish hours of enjoyable time with.

Total up all the time you've spent enjoyably working on a BYOND project. How many games would you have played through in that time-frame? Now multiply that number by $40 (avg of 20-60 dollars per game) and compare it with how much you've donated. I know I'm way behind.

We're a very small community, but ultimately it is sort of... I dunno, crappy to have a collection of probably hundreds of steam games that you've more than likely never played for more than a few hours, yet to argue that what Lummox is doing for you for *free* doesn't justify support for what you perceive to be "free".

I dunno, that's just me, applying logic to a situation. Take that how you will.

As for Baird, this being your last membership... You've ironically in the last year or so alone of key-flopping every time your reputation takes a digger (which is pretty much instantly these days) you've managed to pay for more server time than I have in my long time of being here. Don't stop supporting BYOND. Seriously. I commend it even if the reasons are... Well, pretty questionable.
I'm so tired of you Ter you're literally a loser and say the same shit going off topic etc...

I key flop when my reputation gets bad? Are you an idiot I let almost everyone know I'm Baird right away. Quit starting shit, I only key change simply when I'm unsatisfied with my name.

You think you're a hero for calling me Baird, thinking you exposed me. But I'm already known to be Baird on the key Bloo Pikman.
I could easily conceal my idenity.. I've done it a ton of times but if I save byond and no one knows it was me that would be a tasteless victory.
Your character is slipping. Stay in character damn it. Your baird character doesn't know the difference between you're and your.

TL;DR: IDGAF anymore. I'm not going to lose sleep over your inability to logic without throwing around insults.

Fun fact: Insults mean very little if they don't come from someone you respect and/or know is trolling.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Your character is slipping. Stay in character damn it. Your baird character doesn't know the difference between you're and your.

TL;DR: IDGAF anymore. I'm not going to lose sleep over your inability to logic without throwing around insults.

Fun fact: Insults mean very little if they don't come from someone you respect and/or know is trolling.

Case and point, blocked.
Page: 1 2 3