ID:1988729

BYOND Version:509.1315
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 46.0.2490.86
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
As soon as I updated to the curren version, everytime I attempt to open Dream Seeker in the webclient, from the hub webpage or dream maker, the webclient or dream maker from wherever I am running it will crash.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Upgrade to 509.1315
2. Open the Webclient or Dream Maker
3. Open a server or Run from Dream maker
4. Watch it crash.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
N/A

Expected Results:
Should load the game properly.

Actual Results:
Crashes the program as soon as link is clicked.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

Everytime on any game, on any account. It does not work on my laptop which is also running Windows 10 (Same browser and Operating system as this one I am on now)

When does the problem NOT occur?
It did not occur from the previous version back.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
None I have found so far.
Please provide the crash details from the Windows event viewer.
Also if you didn't update with the full installer, I recommend using that. It makes sure that DirectX is properly setup on your system to support the new features.
Can you explain how to do that? Because if your referring to the message window that pops up when something normally crashes, none pops up because it freezes so I have to go into task manager and close it through there. None pops up after that.
I used the full installer when installing.
A freeze is not a crash, so this report is mislabeled. Do any of the previous 509 builds do this?
Wait, this also confuses me.

everytime I attempt to open Dream Seeker in the webclient

Dream Seeker and the webclient are entirely different entities. Do you simply mean that you're trying to open DS from the site?

Also, does this happen only with one game, or with multiple games? What games have you tried?
Oh sorry I mean the window that you launch when you launch byond.

It has crashed before like twice but I cannot replicate that I'm sorry, its really random.

All Games such as my own Duel Monsters Dimensions, Duel Monsters Genesis and Dragon Universe do not launch. Its every game I try to launch.

I installed a previous build from 509 (508) and I it worked perfectly.
I need to know if the other 509 builds have the same issue for you. Please download some of those and test. Try 509.1314 first, then try some earlier ones if it still has the issue. I need to know where the problem first occurred.

Also try these games; they work for me so they ought to work for you too.

byond://LummoxJR.Runt##local
byond://Gazoot.Quickstep##local
I downgrade twice before the problem stopped. I stopped at 509.1315
In response to DevDuelist
DevDuelist wrote:
I downgrade twice before the problem stopped. I stopped at 509.1315

I don't understand; 1315 is the current build.

Sorry, typing is a little off today.

509.1313*
There's no change in 1314 that could explain what you're seeing. The only change that could even run client-side is a minor one to the .dms parser, which doesn't come into play in earlier games and also doesn't appear to have any potential for an infinite loop.

If you go back to 1314, does the problem return?
I downgraded to 1314 and the problem still persists. I just went back to 1313 though and its fine.
Okay, I'll probably need a little specialized help here, since I can't seen this issue for myself and there's nothing in the code that explains this change. Since I want to fix this immediately if there's an infinite loop issue, here's what I need for you to do:

1) Install a debugger. The Windows debugging tools are a decent choice.
2) Run Dream Seeker in 1314 like you've been trying to do.
3) Once Dream Seeker hangs, attach the debugger to dreamseeker.exe, and then pause execution.

Before that, though, I have some followup questions. I did see a change in 1313 itself that might explain an issue if you have some weird security software running--and it's vaguely possible that the change actually went into 1314 instead of 1313 as planned. (The dates don't tell me enough to be sure.) That could only happen, though, if you're trying to join a game remotely or installed locally, not if you're trying to run a game directly from Dream Maker.

- Were you in fact launching Dream Seeker from Dream Maker, as in hitting Ctrl+R on a project of your own? Or, were you only trying to launch from the site? The original post is very confused on this point.

- What security software and/or firewalls do you have installed? What happens if you disable it temporarily?

The results I'm seeing on the webserver are consistent with the change I'm thinking of not having gone into 1313 as intended, and some kind of security software freaking out over the change. For clarity, the change I'm referring to is one that altered the ad serving URL so that I can, in the future, add functionality to allow hub owners, server admins, hosts, etc. to prepay to skip ads.

The reason I asked about Dream Maker is that if you're writing a project and hit Ctrl+R, that should never attempt to launch an ad or the "Your game will begin shortly" box.
Were you in fact launching Dream Seeker from Dream Maker, as in hitting Ctrl+R on a project of your own? Or, were you only trying to launch from the site? The original post is very confused on this point.

Either Ctrl+R or Run from the Build menu.

What security software and/or firewalls do you have installed? What happens if you disable it temporarily?

Nothing Changes when I disable Avast.
Do you have any security software besides Avast? And I'm referring specifically to something like Avast's web shield, not the antivirus, so you'd want to make sure you disabled the right thing.
Yeah I did disable the web shield at the time. But even with the internet turned off on my PC, it still doesn't work.
Something is really fishy, because no one else has reported a problem with 509.1314 like that, and the only possible culprit is that code change. All that change is doing is adding to a URL query string, and I have ample evidence that that's working for other people--yet I don't see a single request matching it for you.

I assume you were using 508.1299 before you initially upgraded, yes?

My best advice at this point would be to try the steps I outlined above for getting a debugger attached to dreamseeker.exe while it's hanging. What I basically need there is, once you can pause the execution where it's hanging, for you to go back in the stack until you end up in dreamseeker.exe or byondcore.dll or what have you, and take some screen shots of what the debugger shows you at those points--such as the assembly code. That would be an enormous help for me to track down the issue.
I'll try the debugger but if that doesn't help then maybe its my computer being faulty.
Page: 1 2 3 4