ID:1990332

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
The amount of times I see Lummox struggling to help people understand how to attach a debugger makes me very sad. There should be a pinned topic in Bug Reports with an easy to follow step by step on how to debug, which Lummox can just link to.

Something like this is a good start

Here's some additional info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msdnts/archive/2006/11/24/ how-to-debug-application-crash-hang-in-production-environmen t.aspx

So if you install the Windows debugging tools, this is what you need to do:

1) Wait for dreamseeker.exe to hang, and then start up WinDbg and attach it to the program.

2) Once the debugger attaches, you'll see a window giving you a list of the modules that the program is using (e.g., dreamseeker.exe, byondcore.exe, etc.) and what addresses they're at. Type ~* at the command prompt in that window.

3) The list you'll see next is a list of threads in the program. Look for the one that says dreamseeker.exe or byondcore.dll or byondwin.dll; it's probably thread 0. Put that number into a new command to switch to that thread: ~0s (replace the 0 with another number of needed).

4) Now that you're on that thread, type k to get the call stack.

5) Copy the entire contents of the window. You can put it in a pastebin and send me the link in a message, or you can send me a message by wrapping the whole thing in
tags.
Still think that byond should use google breakpad.