ID:1991475

Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
It'd be nice if DS/the Pager/whatever else takes a BYOND url would accept SRV DNS records. Sometimes multiple instances are on a single server, or perhaps the port number is used to keep track of server number, so being able to easily have a subdomain point to an IP/Port would be a wonderful addition.
+1 for this. It would make URLs look a lot prettier/easier to remember.
just placing this here don't mind me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record
Now now don't rush to comment on this all at once.
Bump. 510 maybe?
Definitely not 510. To be honest this is complex enough with a lack of good examples, and requires changes to the Linux and Windows networking code alike which vastly complicates it, that I have very little desire to approach this. Libcurl is likely to be more worth the time.
Yeah reading the wiki page is very hard. No examples there nuh uh nosiree. (If you want it spelled out: it means we could make links like server1.domain.com instead of server1.domain.com:26100).

As for the other stuff, that's fair. Another reason to get help.
Wikipedia was not very helpful in any sense I would need for implementation. The examples you mention have nothing whatsoever to do with how such a thing would be done in code.
Google exists.
No one here has actually explained what needs to be implemented. SRV Records are something server-side that Lummox shouldn't even have to deal with; (as far as I understand) the only support that Lummox would have to add would be that when you connect to byond:// protocol without a port; the pager (or DS, or whatever else can handle the protocl) should not treat them as potential hubs; but as potential server addresses.

This could be a very breaking change, as there would be no way to differentiate between hub and external URL when the port is missing.
In response to Wirewraith
Wirewraith wrote:
Google exists.

When it comes to looking up UNIX foo and especially low-level networking code, that's way less true than you think. Certain topics are not readily researched on Google.
ok, let me help out here.

srv record would be strictly a client side thing.

ie: windows only.

When somebody launches ds for say byond://game.tgstation13.org (with no port) you look up the srv record for what ever name you give byond srv records, just make one up, (how about byondgameserver) for that domain game.tgstation13.org and you get an real hostname and port to actually connect to.
This could be a very breaking change, as there would be no way to differentiate between hub and external URL when the port is missing.

no srv record for _byondgameserver._tcp, then treat it as a hub.
Guess that would require the use of Winsock's GetAddrInfoW?
or window's DnsQuery, since we aren't targeting 95/98/me anymore, DnsQuery works in windows 2000 and up and is a bit nicer to use.
Is this even possible with the webclient? Sounds to me that the feature would be deprecated right after implementation.
Webclient doesn't replace the standalone client.
webclient uses a byond url, so internally in byond's site code, it would just handle doing this.
Bump. Still coming across occasions where this would be good to have!
Bumping for 511
Page: 1 2