ID:1996635

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Fairly simple seeming request, probably impossible in the backend.

FPS is supposed to be a multiple or divisor of your monitors refreshrate (Typically 60) for best performance. I usually make games at 60 fps, but I wanted to make a complicated particle engine, and I wanted to run 120 fps, but obviously that isn't allowed. I tried 100 fps, but I get choppy frame desync and it doesn't look particularly nice.

It would be fantastic if we could get 120 fps support, and it seems stupid that we have 100 fps as the current cap.
I agree, there shoudnt be any cap anyways the cap can be capped by the developers themselfs.
It could possibly be something to do with floating point accuracy, since 1/120 is 0.00833333333 whilst 1/100 is (obviously) 0.01. Perhaps something in the backend doesn't like having a tick_lag less than one hundredth of a whole number?
most monitors are set at a refresh rate of 60fps, higher levels means you won't see the frames
How well does sleeping work at over 100fps? The sleep values are in multiples of deciseconds.
That's true, but you can go sub-1 down to a minimum of world.tick_lag, where world.tick_lag is 1/world.fps
In response to GatewayRa
GatewayRa wrote:
most monitors are set at a refresh rate of 60fps, higher levels means you won't see the frames

Not entirely true, depending on what the higher FPS is you will skip certain frames, but more importantly.

1: I have a 120hz monitor
2: I get access to even smaller frames of time to sleep, meaning I can push even more calculations per-second.
Internally, world.tick_lag is just a number in milliseconds. 120 FPS would be 8 ms, so it's actually 125 FPS.

The only "cap" is that because it's in ms, it can't drop below 1. Realistically however, 120 FPS is absurd and you'll never achieve that level of performance except maybe with a very graphically umdemanding game.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Internally, world.tick_lag is just a number in milliseconds. 120 FPS would be 8 ms, so it's actually 125 FPS.

The only "cap" is that because it's in ms, it can't drop below 1. Realistically however, 120 FPS is absurd and you'll never achieve that level of performance except maybe with a very graphically umdemanding game.

It's useful for creating tools, rather than games. I want to make a particle engine similar to Kat's, but with the functionality of PartIcons, and I want to be able to cram as much detail as is possible into each one.