ID:1997427

Navigation's take several seconds and simple searches are taking 10+ seconds. It wasn't like this before and its been this way for weeks now. Anyone else?
no but im eastern time
Yea searching has been slow for a while, lummox never really explained why, even tho he commented on a post about it
Something about moving to the new servers closer to Lummy.
The thing that annoys me about the search, isn't as much that it's slow, but rather that when you're in a specific sub forum and you search, it first takes ages to search the whole forum, returns that list, and then has a link to search only the specific forum you wanted, which again takes ages.

It makes so much more sense to have it search just the forum you're in and return that.
I plan to change the scope of the search to be forum-local when you're searching from a specific forum's page. That is, scope=local will be the default in those cases.

The reason the text search is slower is that the table format in the database was changed. Apparently the newer format, while it does support fulltext indexes, is slower when using them. Had I known that going in, I'm not sure I would have done anything different, though; switching the format had a lot of beneficial effects. There are some other options for dealing with that, like Sphinx, but it's been very far away on my development horizon.