ID:1997644

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
"What operating system and/or browser are you using?"

Actually my OS is Windows 8.1 and my browser is Firefox.

"What were you trying to do when the problem occurred?"

I was trying to update byond.

"What actually happened, and how did it differ from what you expected?"

After the "update" I tried to join a server and a windows pops out saying "could not initialize dreamseeker, maybe you should reinstall?".

Hello, having an issue here with Byond, it was a long time since i last played a byond game so i started byond to play some SS13, after downloading the files from the servers and initializing the game Byond tells me that there is a new version available so i closed everything and went to the site to download it.

Unfortunately, after downloading the latest version of Byond, i just installed it right away, having the old version still in my pc. Now i cant join any server from any game because a windows shows up telling me to reinstall because byond cant initialize dream seeker.

Things that i already tried:

*Reinstalling obviusly
*Deleting all files related to byond (all folders, i didnt touch anything from windows registry, i really dont want to mess with it, im not very familiar with it).
*Running it as a administrator.
*Running it in compatibility mode.
*Downloaded the Zip version and started it from desktop.

Im sure it has to be the fact that i installed the latest version over the old one, maybe some files are having conflict with each other?.

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if there are some gramatical errors, this is not my language).
Best response
The error message in question comes from the pager, and means that it was unable to start, or perhaps find, dreamseeker.exe. Something is wrong with your installation.

Try opening up your BYOND install dir, which is likely C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND, and look at the bin folder. Look at what's there, and take a look at the properties of each file. Is dreamseeker.exe there? Are the .dlls there? Are they all the right version?

You may also want to check the Windows event viewer to see if there are any logs related to this, like maybe Dream Seeker crashed when it tried to start up.

Also check your registry. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Dantom\BYOND. Is there an "installpath" value there? If so, does it point to the actual install dir or does it go somewhere else?

Finally, see if maybe your installation got mucked up with a VirtualStore. According to this post, sometimes an installation may get botched due to running with the wrong permissions. Look for C:\Users\[account name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) and see if BYOND is there. If so, delete it and reinstall.
Hello Lummox, thanks for the response, its solved now, had to do the steps from that post you linked me. Thanks again.