ID:1998371

This is outstanding when compared to your usual taste, compared to mine it's listen-able. I'll give you a +1 proud.
rly
c'mon
90's hip hop is clearly the most funky y'all

nothing better
In response to Konlet
Konlet wrote:
rly
c'mon
90's hip hop is clearly the most funky y'all

i mean totally

Maybe a little bit of an old post, but whatever, it's still here.

I've been listening to this band, Mischief Brew, like crazy lately. They're a folk anarcho-punk band out of Philadelphia, and they are so god damned good. Great lyrics, great sound. I'd definitely go see them.

In response to Molano

Been on an electro swing kick.
In response to Ter13

Might be missing the electro but i think you might like it :P.
The vocals aren't my style, but that beat tho:

This thread is sexy af.
Not really funky but w/e.
In response to Kumorii
In response to Ter13
10/10
100%
I had this ENTIRE thing written up, and then accidentally refreshed the page. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

Okay, so, to proceed again: I managed to get myself on Yet Another Jazz Kick again last night, and I figured I'd share the music a bit since it's an amazing and varied genre, with far-reaching influences in contemporary non-jazz music, but it seems like only "music" people listen to it (i.e., people who perform music or people who are music lovers).

I adore Django Reinhardt's approach to jazz (taking it from brass-heavy as it was in the States and using all string instruments), and he was like a calm madman on guitar. He suffered a terrible burn wound as a child, and it left him with only two fingers on his left hand, but that didn't stop him at all. Take a look at 1:20 for some crazy shit he could do with the frets using only those two fingers. Stéphane Grappelli was no slouch on violin, either, and The Quintet of the Hot Club of France would not be the same without him.

I need to listen to more Dexter Gordon; he has a pretty enchanting approach to saxophone in my opinion, though I'm not as versed in the instrument and its use in jazz as I'd like.

"Naima" is one of my favorite John Coltrane songs, though Coltrane is another artist who I feel I haven't listened to nearly as thoroughly as I'd like. Extremely talented saxophone player, though; probably one of my favorites that I know of. Fun fact: John Coltrane is a canonized saint in the African Orthodox Church.

John Coltrane and Duke Ellington from the album Duke Ellington and John Coltrane. I've only heard a few songs from this album, but the ones I have heard were phenomenal. I'll probably sit down tonight and listen to it, because it's supposed to be extremely good. I mean, it's a collaboration between John Coltrane and Duke Ellington, so what else would you expect?

And Duke Ellington with his band; pretty good performance of a pretty good song. I am, sadly, not nearly as familiar with the Big Band era of jazz as I feel I should be.

Tom Waits is an astonishingly-talented musician, and a crown jewel of contemporary American music in my opinion. Both his jazzy, crooner work (The Heart of Saturday Night and the album it's on are another exemplar of this era) and his post-Swordfishtrombones experimental and eclectic work are equally-amazing and I could honestly never choose one. I don't want to suggest he's not well-known—he certainly isn't—but he's one of those musicians that I feel most people (at least in the US) have at least heard of, but they've never actually heard his music except maybe for people who have covered his songs (e.g., Bruce Springsteen's cover of Jersey Girl). Astonishingly-talented and innovative musician, bar none.

John Zorn is pretty great, but Masada (the band he's performing with here) are a much more standard approach compared to his typical fare: the man is the avant-gardest of the avant-garde, and other projects of his (such as Naked City) run the gamut from approachable to a little bit eclectic to... uh... a bit inaccessible (NSFW album cover), though as a fan of noise rock, sludge metal, and drone metal I do enjoy the last one a bit.

Dr. John is another fairly-eclectic jazz musician, though I have not listened to a whole lot of his music. The above two are my favorites for the ones I have listened to.

So yeah, needless to say and to the surprise of none, jazz has produce some pretty amazing music.
Page: 1 2