ID:1999869

BYOND Version:509
Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 42.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Open a DME Enviroment

Actual Results:
"Encountered an improper arguments" Error

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Yes
In other user accounts? No matter
On other computers? No testes

When does the problem NOT occur? When file count less than 17K in folder with dme file

Barring that this bug should still be looked into, why do you have 17,000 files in the same folder as your .dme file?
In response to NullQuery
I attempted to compile nanoui templates (for SS13), and it was nodejs files.
How does anything produce that many files in one directory?

Regarding the bug, did you have "Show all files" checked, or no? If DM attempted to show all the files I can understand why it choked.
In response to Lummox JR
I installed soft to compile some files (not related to DM, but related to game interface), but i didn't tick "Show all files" checkbox.
Did you know? If you eat 17,000 apples in two hours, you will most likely explode.

The moral of the story is: Who actually thinks it's a good idea to use 17,000 files. And is it worth caring about.
There've been other "Encountered an improper argument" reports that I wonder if this could shed some light on, but my thought is 1) most likely not, and 2) no way am I creating 17K files to test that on. I don't think I have a single directory on my system with that many files.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
There've been other "Encountered an improper argument" reports that I wonder if this could shed some light on, but my thought is 1) most likely not, and 2) no way am I creating 17K files to test that on. I don't think I have a single directory on my system with that many files.

I saw this error for the first time ever last week too. Just sayin'

My directory has 1549 files
I managed to reproduce this issue. It doesn't seem to be about the files but rather the file path. My node_modules folder has so many subfolders in subfolders in subfolders that the path is eventually over 255 characters long.
Can this be fixed in the next release? It doesn't matter if the folders are visible in the file tree, so a try/catch statement would be sufficient to fix this IMO.
In response to NullQuery
NullQuery wrote:
I managed to reproduce this issue. It doesn't seem to be about the files but rather the file path. My node_modules folder has so many subfolders in subfolders in subfolders that the path is eventually over 255 characters long.

Node.js has this problem in general with windows nothing specific to BYOND.

https://github.com/nodejs/node-v0.x-archive/issues/6960
In response to Soldierman
Indeed. Quite a lot of the Windows file-related API calls have a limited number of characters they can work with, as set by the MAX_PATH value.
The latest version of NodeJS fixes this issue, so this change is not really needed. Close issue? Unless Bear1ake still has a problem?
this error is -also- caused by unicode making its way into the client.
In response to NullQuery
Problem is resolved. Thanks