ID:200016

Resolved
The Play button on the landing page now directs users to the games listing page.
Applies to:Website

This issue has been resolved.
As we have been telling you since the beginning of time, the giant PLAY link on BYOND's homepage should not take users to a download page (especially not people who already have BYOND installed), it should take them to the Games page.

If a user who doesn't have BYOND installed attempts to download/join a game, that is when they should be taken to the install our junk page. At that point, they've already found a game they want to play, and would be more willing to install.
I've been thinking about this lately too.
I have to agree with this.
It just seems a tad sketchy and like Falacy said, they could see a game they want to play and be more prone to downloading the client.
Falacy wrote:
If a user who doesn't have BYOND installed attempts to download/join a game, that is when they should be taken to the install our junk page.

How will the site determine whether or not you have BYOND installed?
I don't know how these crazy things work! If it can't tell that, then they can just base it on being logged in.
Yeah, that makes sense. That or a hybrid where we show the download button along with a link to the games page, so people understand how the process works.

We probably did it this way because the games page used to be our home page. I think we still have that code in that detects if byond is installed when trying to play a game (it uses the byond:// protocol detection, although I'm not 100% that works with all modern browsers).
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I think we still have that code in that detects if byond is installed when trying to play a game (it uses the byond:// protocol detection, although I'm not 100% that works with all modern browsers).

It doesn't.
+1 Votes for this feature.

I do think the front page should have some work again and especially that oldies shouldn't be forced to see the download button on that section if we have it installed etc.
Higoten resolved issue with message:
The Play button on the landing page now directs users to the games listing page.