ID:2002381

Not a bug
BYOND Version:508
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 43.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I used a tag/ref teleporting system to goto a separate map file that was 25x25 and yet i can run off the map and out of bounds even though there shouldn't be anything there as the full 25x25 is mapped yet im able to wander off into some void

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
use tag/ref teleporting to a 25x25 map

Do you have any other included map files that are larger than 25x25? At runtime, world.maxx and world.maxy will be set to the width and height of the largest map file in your project.
ohh cause i was hoping i could just make individual maps of diffrent sizes but i guess the largest oen still make need a special boundary needed right?
Nadrew resolved issue (Not a bug)
In response to Mastergamerxxx
Mastergamerxxx wrote:
ohh cause i was hoping i could just make individual maps of diffrent sizes but i guess the largest oen still make need a special boundary needed right?

Just to clarify how the map works, BYOND loads all maps into memory as separate Z levels, but the global map is a cube-like shape. If one map is smaller than the others, the excess X and Y space will be filled in with the default turf type.

You have multiple options for dealing with situations like this. If you use EDGE_PERSPECTIVE on your maps, you can apply client.edge_limit when a player is within the bounds of a small map, so that their view won't look beyond them. Another common technique is to bunch all small mini-maps onto one single Z level, or only a few Z levels, and have enough boundary turfs that there isn't really a chance of seeing one of the other maps. These techniques can actually be combined.
You can simulate the edge of map by making a dense opaque black icon turf that is dense and has "" for a name. then just put that around your smaller zlevels