ID:2004142

Merry Christmas Adam, as my family has always called today. Today is a day in which we reflect on the mountain of wrapping we have left to do, the shopping we may or may not have finished, and the groceries we need to buy. It is a very very good day for panicking.

I said last week that 509.1317 would probably be the last maintenance release of 2015, but a few users found bugs that I was able to fix relatively quickly, one of which I felt was important enough to merit releasing sooner. (It was a memory leak with /matrix datums in Write(), when dealing with atom.transform, even when the transform var wasn't set. It's not a new bug by any means, but worth fixing. Also, related, a memory leak with color matrices if they were the default value for atom.color.) So now we have version 509.1318, and I expect that will be the last maintenance release for now.

Work on version 510 continues, and regex support is about ready to be integrated into the code proper. I've written up code for most of the datum stuff, and the find and replace and quote routines, and that just has to get introduced. (I'm still thinking I should add a built-in replacetext() and replacetextEx(), though, for non-regex replacements.) I think this is gonna be pretty awesome. I'm actually so stoked for this I'll probably keep picking at it throughout the break.

The grouped atom/plane stuff that I think will make the biggest splash in 510 still needs some thinking out in terms of syntax, so hopefully I'll develop some good ideas on that front during the winter break. Work on that resumes January 4.

I'll be around during the break, but low-keying it. I have a lot of binge watching to do.

Do you have a winter-themed game you've made or like to play? If so, this is a great time of year to play; if not, make one! And don't forget to hit up the donation box or become a Member if you haven't done so already; BYOND needs and appreciates your support.

Year in review time: I'm grateful for all the ways BYOND has changed this year, for the support of the community in our big transition, and especially to Tom for keeping me employed for so long and then trusting me to take over all of this. Hopefully I've done all right by you guys.

Here's hoping your holidays are cheery and all is well. Eat stuff that's bad for you, play games, have fun, and make the most of it, because winter is coming. Eventually. See you all on the other side!
Lummox JR wrote:
Year in review time: I'm grateful for all the ways BYOND has changed this year, for the support of the community in our big transition, and especially to Tom for keeping me employed for so long and then trusting me to take over all of this. Hopefully I've done all right by you guys.

You've done more than alright, over the past year you've added some of the most dreamy of features for BYOND, such as atom.transform and animate(). With these tools it's so much much easier to make pretty looking games. The term "It doesn't even look like a BYOND game!" is coming close to being abolished, because BYOND is starting to look like other solid engines.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

You've done more than alright, over the past year you've added some of the most dreamy of features for BYOND, such as atom.transform and animate(). With these tools it's so much much easier to make pretty looking games. The term "It doesn't even look like a BYOND game!" is coming close to being abolished, because BYOND is starting to look like other solid engines.

Now we just need to find a way to get people to choose BYOND as an engine.

I'm really excited about what we can do with animations now. Add layer groupings and we're we're off to the races at least for my style of games.

Have a great new year and I look forward to the years ahead with BYOND.
Agreed with pop. Would kill for the ability to have multiple animations on the same object at the same time, though.
In response to DarkTemplarX96
DarkTemplarX96 wrote:
Now we just need to find a way to get people to choose BYOND as an engine.

market it to people that don't know any better, like kids in elementary schools... maybe even mental hospitals, since the demography byond tends to attract have mental problems

happy holidays ppl
Here's hoping your holidays are cheery and all is well. Eat stuff that's bad for you, play games, have fun, and make the most of it, because winter is coming. Eventually. See you all on the other side!
If that was a GoT reference, I will swear fealty to you.
BYOND is love. BYOND is life.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
If that was a GoT reference, I will swear fealty to you.

I'm planning to binge as much of GoT as I can.
In response to Lummox JR
Someone bought me all the books for Christmas, so I'll have to pin some time for that Q.Q
Will the new layer grouping stuff improve how big icons, layers, and pixel_y are handled for top/down maps? I've been struggling a little bit when dragging around large icons. If I apply a positive pixel_y to a large icon, it starts layering as-if on a side-view map.
This thread is nothing but cringe.