ID:2007574

I absolutely love world building and on top of that, my favorite part of world building happens to be cartography, map making. Here's a few maps that have gone through interesting iterations over the years from designing D&D campaign settings. The second map was one I finished yesterday, actually; an obvious improvement over my first setting map.

Curious if anyone else has a map-fetish?

Fullsize
The cartoonish feel of it always put me off a bit, so I decided to make something a bit more serious looking.

Fullsize
Oh yeah, that's where it's at.
Check out Reddit Worldbuilding then. Lots of cool stuff there.

reddit.com/r/worldbuilding
Kind of embarrassed to say... but I've never used Reddit in my life... Might be worth checking out, though.
HOW DID YOU MAKE THAT D: I would love to be able to do it q.q
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:

Photoshop CS6 and 16 hours of hand cramps...
Sunaria is part of a game you're making :D?
I've been running a campaign for a while now using a world I created called Primos. Not long ago I doodled up part of the world map in Paint. It most certainly does not adhere to any kind of realistic geography, though that's due to the setting.

Galnado

(Click here for full size).

The various kingdoms and a few factions are noted. Not as fancy as I'd like, of course. :)
In response to Ghost of ET
Ghost of ET wrote:
Sunaria is part of a game you're making :D?

Nope. Campaign setting for D&D/Pathfinder.

The old SA map, took more time trying to draft it than it did making that.
Smexy maps. Exploration is my favourite part of any game. I wouldn't mind making a game out of the map, though.

Fullsize

Updated a few things about the map. For one, after some advice from the Cartographer's Guild, I toned down the text glow and emboldened it a bit. Also gave the text some shape to flow better with the map.

Also changed the names of a few places to remove the Clichestan nomenclature it had a bit before hand.
Old text look better IMO
The old text was easier to read from a smaller print, but I agree that it did break up the tone of the map a bit too much.
Very impressive! I would love to get more involved with cartography, but I usually end up getting too caught up in the smaller details. It got so bad that I was spending hours researching how deserts formed in a geographical sense, looking up appropriate flora for their respective geographical homes, etc.

It's almost as if I was worried that some player would wag their finger at my design saying "Hey! This game is bullshit! That Colorado Blue Spruce doesn't belong in this climate!"
In response to Azurift
I used to have that problem, but I went for a very different approach with this map. Basically I designed this kind of how Blizzard designs zones in World of Warcraft. Everything is relatively close together and with naming conventions that suggest where it's inspired from in the real world.

Mombasi is an african-style savannah.
Ankahar is an egyptian-style desert.
Sri'aman is a mixture of Indian and Peruvian cultures because I wanted that classic Temple of Doom style for the dungeons.

I created areas that may not be geographically accurate, but allow me to send my players to drastically different areas without a whole lot of hand waving with travel distances, which has been an issue before.

Truth be told, players don't want realism. Realism is boring. We live in the real world every day. You end up having entire continents covered in one or two types of "biomes" if you will. So that's where I used more game design experience with how the map was laid out, rather than going on my geographical cartography skills.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:

Oh God No... lemme fix that for you...

https://vimeo.com/86698853

Happy New Year.
In response to WeabooGamesInc
WeabooGamesInc wrote:
Kats wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:

Oh God No... lemme fix that for you...

https://vimeo.com/86698853

Happy New Year.

YESSSSSSSSSS
In response to WeabooGamesInc
I wish I had the privilege of having pre-made mountain prints. I hand drew everything in this image, except for the text and the parchment blend texturing... But then again, with my control freakness, pre-made would never be good enough...

He also had a pencil type that did the jagged coastlines for him, I just zoomed all the way in and made it look rough, erasing and replacing parts constantly with inlets or peninsulas. I could do a tutorial on it sometime.
Had to unblock just to say that this is nice.