ID:2007713

Poll: How does a competition where people submit card and/or board game designs sound?

Different 8% (2)
Neat 20% (5)
What? 0% (0)
Lame 12% (3)
No 4% (1)
Hell yes! 8% (2)
Why not... 8% (2)
Meh 0% (0)
I'm in 12% (3)
Depends... 4% (1)
See comment... 4% (1)
Screw this! Lets do a competition for another genre! See comments. 8% (2)
I'll sponsor the event in some way. 8% (2)

Login to vote.

The idea being, the winning submission would be converted into a BYOND game.

Who converts it? Perhaps its a community effort, a dev volunteer looking for a project or just me. TBD. If the voting has a positive upswing and you would be interested in contributing to a community effort, let me know.

Prize money can be involved. Non devs and people from outside BYOND could submit which is good.

Old game ideas collecting dust could be brought out.

Here's an example of a board game that was recently converted from paper to BYOND.

Deadly Danger Dungeon
I've had this idea collecting dust for a while..
We don't need another excuse to make Yut Put cry when they don't win.
So, are you converting BYOND devs into cards that get played by all or do players become cards? How does it play?
Where is GreatPirateEra :'(
In response to PopLava
PopLava wrote:
So, are you converting BYOND devs into cards that get played by all or do players become cards? How does it play?
GreatPirateEra wrote:
Where is GreatPirateEra :'(

The idea is characters of BYOND games (I use Devs if their game doesn't have specific characters *ie SuperAntX and Decadence) become cards and battle it out, being seperated into 4 elements, (Fire, Earth, Water and Air) It's super bare bones and the mechanics are still a huge work in progress.

Character Cards face off against each other.
Each character has a type.
Fire
Water
Earth
Air

Fire is best against Air, Air is best against Earth
Earth is best against Water, Water is best against Fire
Do they all make sense? naw lol

Characters of Fire get a boosted atk of double to Air >characters
Air characters have a 10% chance for a critical hit of >triple against Fire
etc.

Equipment Cards

Equipment can change the flow of battle, changing >elements, healing characters, boosting stats, etc.
Can be played down and flipped up either on turn or when >an attack strikes the character it is equipped to.
In response to Mickemoose
Kumo ams tank. >D
In response to Mickemoose
You stole my idea.
Yut Put wrote:
BYOND TCG BEST IDEA

as a guy who has been prototyping board games and deeply studying them for the past 3 months i have some neat ideas but i'd much prefer a "byond tabletop game jam" than a "submit designs" contest

Love to hear more about your table top ideas. I've been playing around with similar ideas and was up all night night playing around with the table top demo and a few of my own prototypes.
Kozzy am be assassin question.mark?
Ghost of ET's Card game

There are 3 phases of a turn in this card game

Start Phase.
The start phase have 2 subphases

Draw Phase - Draw 1 card from your deck

Summon Phase - Summon a character card from your hand to the field. You can summon as many character cards from your hand as you want to.

Next Phase is

Battle Phase.

Battle phase has 3 subphases

First subPhase is Declare Phase

During this Phase you can declare which character cards you have out on the field are going to attack, and who they are going to attack

Second subPhase is Equipphase

During this phase Both players can equip special cards(They are literally called special cards) to the character card that are either attacking or being attacked. You can only use 1 special card during this phase per character.

Third subPhase is Attackphase

During this phase damage is calculated and appropriate items are placed in their appropriate places.

Last phase of a turn is the Final Phase(+1 point for originality)

During this phase you can discard a card to return a character card removed from the field back onto the field if you want to. Also any effects that may happen during the end of a turn happens at the start of this phase.

Character cards are you r typical monster cards. Except they only have HP and Strength as a stat. Character cards can have special skills. During battle when a character card is defeated (Because another character card has a higher strength, and sets the character card's hp to 0 or less) that Character card is moved to the wait zone and during the Final Phase the Character card is sent to the bottom of the deck.

Special cards are cards you can use to enhance your character card during the equip subphase. It could give character cards additional skills or boost their strength even heal the character card. Some special cards can only be used when specific requirements are set. After you use a special card they go into the wait zone. At the beginning of the Final Phase special cards in the wait zone move to the discard zone (Note: Character cards have priority over special cards so if a character card moves to the bottom of the deck and activates a skill that moves special cards to the hand or deck then that skill will be triggered first and the special cards won't be moved to the discard zone).

This is my very basic tcg <3. Any questions?
Yut Put wrote:
Ive been mostly experimenting lately with european style board games with violent twists. one idea i had was like a mix between drafting dominoes, carcassone, and lode wars built around an RPS mechanic of trade > diplomacy > military

Ok, so you're going after all new game concepts.

I think I'm going to continue investing in the card system. Next project is quickly becoming a BYOND port of Citadels. It's fairly straight forward and will add a few new things to the framework.
In response to PopLava
PopLava wrote:
Yut Put wrote:
BYOND TCG BEST IDEA

as a guy who has been prototyping board games and deeply studying them for the past 3 months i have some neat ideas but i'd much prefer a "byond tabletop game jam" than a "submit designs" contest

Love to hear more about your table top ideas. I've been playing around with similar ideas and was up all night night playing around with the table top demo and a few of my own prototypes.

I'm also going to keep track of how long it takes me to port an existing game.

Yut Put wrote:
I have Force, a 160 card LCG looking for a digital home outside of Tabletop simulator. I'd fing love to see it ported to your system; i've been trying to convince kaio to make a digital port for a while

The game's 100% done and so is all of its art and rules

So Force is an something you came up with? Fan or original? Which tabletop simulator because I'm not seeing it up on the Nexus site.
I think he means Tabletop Simulator on steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/
Awesome! I'm so in. I'll finish off Citadels which will improve the framework for xCGs. Should take about 2 weeks to finish it off. During that time, I can dive into Force and learn all about it.

Can I buy the Table Top Simulator from steam and install the Force mod?

Installing Tabletop Simulator...

Will look for this imgur thing and see if I can find Force.

Any helpful tips to get me going?
I think I might be preparing to have my mind blown by the content for Tabletop Simulator...
FYI to all those following this thread.

Lets see what the weekend brings in terms of voting. We've got 3 people who say they're in and 2 potential sponsors.

If you have non-byond friends, consider asking them if they would be interested in entering a game design contest. Again, the idea is that winning entries get developed.
Final tally as of 1/5/2016 - 1:22pm

It's about a 3 to 1 in favor with 22 respondents.
14 - basically yes
5 - firm no
3 - chimed in

Different    9% (2)
Neat 22% (5)
What? 0% (0)
Lame 9% (2)
No 4% (1)
Hell yes! 9% (2)
Why not... 9% (2)
Meh 0% (0)
Im in 13% (3)
Depends... 4% (1)
See comment. 0% (0)
Do other 9% (2)
Ill sponsor 9% (2)

Any other thoughts on moving forward? If so, any requests or suggestions for guidelines? If not, what other competition would you want to see?

Some other ideas:
- Best library for new features.

- Best game idea ever - submit up to 3 (1 paragraph each). Trying to stay in the realm of "something a little different competition"

- A competition where proceeds goto BYOND based on some criteria. Think BYOND-a-thon with sponsors.

- See of Oasiscircle is willing to run another one of theirs. I missed out on that last one that seemed really neat. Is that something we should see we can get them to repeat? I didn't review the whole thread yet.

- Coolest frelling feature/effect added to an existing game via the show off your project thread.