ID:2008059

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
I've been working on a game recently and suddenly tonight I've run into an issue. I can edit my game with no errors or warnings, but when I try to run it to test new features Dreamseeker opens in the background and i can't see any of it. I then get errors with my rsc locking up because the game is running in the background. Ive tried reinstalling BYOND, restarting the computer, moving the files, and running on several different computers yet I've had no luck with this. Other games and projects open as normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Two possibilities:

1) Maybe Avast updated for you and has started having problems with BYOND. For some reason Avast has been freaking out over version 509, so if you have Avast, make sure you add the entire BYOND install folder to the exception list. Also be sure to report the false positive to Avast.

2) There was a Windows 10 security update that royally screwed up all kinds of applications, including Dream Seeker and Skype. There's a sticky post in this forum with more information.
I saw a few posts about Avast but I don't have avast or anything like that installed. I'm running windows 8.1 and I can run other BYOND projects just fine. I've really hit a wall here.
Try disabling your antivirus and security software. Those are the typical culprits when you have Dream Seeker stuck in the background.

Of course it's also possible that maybe you have an infinite loop. Please tell me you didn't turn loop_checks off.
I didn't turn them off and I just tried disabling McAfee and a few other things. Nothing seems to be doing the trick?
Best response
If you haven't tried it already, I'd recommend killing dreamseeker.exe in your task manager. If that doesn't work, then definitely some antivirus or security software is holding things up. (Unkillable tasks happen when something tries to access a system resource and is still waiting.)

Also another worthwhile test is creating a basic empty world and seeing if that starts up when you compile and run it. If it does, then your code is likely the issue.
It turns out it was a code problem but i'm not sure why it was causing that. Thank you so much for your help!
Explain how you fixed it dude, now I have the same problem and I can't fix it. What code?
I can't get SS13 to work