ID:2011205

(See the best response by Super Saiyan X.)
Hello, I am digging through BYOND to make a realistic MMO architecture, and am curious if it is plausible to transfer a player to another host server port for the same game, when they step onto a turf or area? (think Zelda: Link to the Past room-based format)

I am reading that DMScript can be called at the beginning of the game (I'm guessing in the .DME???) to connect a player to a specific port number/server host of the game. I want to be able to call this script or a similar functionality/proc to connect a player to a different host when they walk to the edge of the map. Particularly this snippet of code is mentioned in the DM Reference docs:

#define URL "telnet://themud.byond.com:6005"

I'm not sure how it is intended to be called outside of the DMScript (such as in a .DM or .DME file during runtime).

If anyone can help, thank you! I'd love to bring in hundreds of thousands of new members to help BYOND thrive more than ever :)

Best regard,
Matt Olick

Look up link(). link() will allow you to transfer players from server to server.

Export(), Import(), and Topic() will also be of use for you if you are moving players around and communicating data from server to server.
I'm also thinking there may be a hack around via the Web Client (use the browser to close your session and force you to another host port)

http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/webclient.html
@Ter13 so hypothetically this would do the job?

area
transferpoint
Entered(client)
client << link("telnet://themud.byond.com:6005")

I'm assuming I'd want to put the port number in braces [] and set it to a variable type. And also probably design a way to send the player's position on the previous map to the new server, and then spawn your client at the appropriate location on the next host.
Best response
You don't want to use the telnet protocol - you'd want to use byond://.
Awesome! I'm gonna start working up a prototype and I'm going to post hopefully tutorial-quality on the network architecture here (possibly with the community's help on some obscure features, stay tuned please!)