ID:2012158

Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I've been working on an inventory system, and I'd really like some kind of visual feedback for dragging items around.

In games where you are managing stacks of items, it's commonplace to see the mouse pointer set to the image of the item you are currently dragging around, as well as the number of items you are currently moving.

Currently, there's no way to show a stack number over a mouse pointer, so when you start manipulating items, it either has to be built into the HUD as an object and moved server-side (I'm using multiple map elements because inventories can be shared between clients), or the user has to generate an icon per unique item/stack combination.
Hrm. You make a good point there. I wonder how this could work, exactly; it seems like the mouse cursor code would have to borrow from the same code used for right-click menus that builds an image, although that code doesn't include maptext.
Using the title of the request, can't you use appearance to generate some cheap image to use at the mouse? That'd accomplish this nicely.

@Lummox
You make a good point there. I wonder how this could work, exactly

The latter solution:

or the user has to generate an icon per unique item/stack combination.

Could be temporarily solved by two long-standing requests:

1) Allow us to generate an /icon from an appearance

2) Refcount generated resource files.

If the dynrsc cleaned itself up periodically during connection, we wouldn't have to worry about the overhead of generating an icon for a disposable usage.
Personally I think it'd be easier to build the icon client-side, by just using the algorithm that's already available for right-click menus and statpanels. (Maptext, which would be most useful for a count, is an obvious problem though.) Of course the appearance still has to be created on the fly and transmitted from the server, but that's still way easier than generating a whole icon.

Plus, refcounting dynamic resources is such a nasty, nasty problem I'm loath to go anywhere near it for a long time. The fact that cache files aren't refcounted is relied upon by various parts of the code.
I want to apply an atom's appearance to the mouse pointer.
(I would also like mouse pointers to not be restricted to the world's icon size, if that's still a thing...)
I want to apply an atom's appearance to the mouse pointer.
(I would also like mouse pointers to not be restricted to the world's icon size, if that's still a thing...)

Food for 511 thought?
In response to Ter13
On my list to look at.
That's the same issue I'm having with Elora.