ID:2013844

Howdy!

Most of y'all don't know me. Some of y'all do. I'm from the old school. One of the things that saddens me the most , is that BYOND has been kept a secret for too long. It's such a powerful tool that never got funding... it hit it big with the anime crowd, and got pigeon holed . Hell, the hottest game is Space Station 13 from 2003 . Let that sink in.

I haven't tried programming a game in over 10 years and don't want to. I've gone out into the world, had success in life and business . I am currently coming up on a cool opportunity to be directly in contact with college aged programmers , graphic designers, and web designers. I will be hiring many of them for my business endeavors.

Side Bar: I hear Lummox JR owns the joint now -- I would be interested in offering my programmers, web designers, graphics services to the community . At no charge , this place could use some sprucing up and you need help.

Back to the lecture act hand -- I am about to come into access of lots of programmers and graphics people. I am thinking of having a BYOND team, as a passion project for all of the projects I never got to do. Think of me as a professional gaming agency within BYOND. Besides, it'd be a dope place for me to test out my new hires!

Anywho, here's where I seek counsel from the amazing BYOND community : What type of programming language is most similiar to BYOND's and what types of programmers should I be looking for? (Python, C++, etc) I am looking to have a team of programmers, graphic artists , and few project managers make some cool games. I also hear BYOND is getting into the mobile game gambit. ( Dantom... I mean Tom.... I mean Lummox JR -- WE DEFINITELY need to chat )

TL;DR : I am an old guy, grew up on BYOND, want to use BYOND as a passion project and testing grounds for my new hires. Which programming language is most similiar to BYOND's and which types of programmers should I hire? Oh and I want to offer Lummox JR help. Someone let him know.

Your Friend Since 2001 ,

Sariat

PS -- Nadrew I thought you'd be colonizing Mars by now =P
The new features of BYOND use HTML5 and JavaScript components which is definitely a good place to start. The DM language is a simplistic language with the unique (haven't seen it elsewhere) feature of abstracting object classes into an actual tree (this is more implicit in other languages).
DM is an object-oriented language built with C, most similar to JavaScript. Personally, I think you're trying to be in the right here but really I wouldn't say this is the best way you could help. I don't think Lummox will allow access to the source to random college students, though there is a section of the forums called Feature Requests.
I may be wrong, though it's just what I think. In any situation, good luck and welcome back :)
In response to Konlet
You are wrong. Made in C? You realize COM is object-oriented (C++) and it's needed for a lot of functionality? It's possible to workaround that but you'd have to be retarded to do so.

C definitely is not "most similar" to JavaScript. JavaScript a lot of features that make it vastly different. There are a plethora of languages that more closely matches C's syntax than JavaScript. Something tells me you've never programmed in these languages.

Anyways @Op, look for the quality of work your students produce, not the languages they know. So many high-level programmers are bad at it. So many low-level programmers are bad at it. College students are by the majority, bad at it. I'd say go after the ones that expertise in computer engineering over computer science if you want quality, but I doubt they'd settle for this.