ID:2017455

http://superpowers-html5.com/index.en.html

Seems pretty legit. Stumbled across it and I'm about to check it out now to see what it's capable of.
No?
In response to GreatPirateEra
Are you sure?
It features the ability to play your game anywhere across any platform, it also is open source.

It also supports groups of people playing on your server as well-something that most game dev engines lack.

That's why I posted it here. Perhaps Lummox could check it out and get a look under the hood to see how they handle it.

It's got a ton of features that actually make it really similar to DM.

I agree, change the name of the site to BYONDPowers and watch the promising developers rush in by the hundreds.

Also, why are there 2 females in that drawing? Girls don't program or play games. That's like, a double contradiction. False advertisement.

I know EXACTLY what they're doing. They're trying to fool us into believing that through using their engine, we'll finally lose our virginity. But I've been playing and making games over a decade now and I still haven't got not one sex so I'm not falling for these lies.
BYOND COULD learn from a lot of things. Whether or not BYOND CHOOSES to learn or buries its head in the sand is another issue.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Real girl gamers stick Xbox One controllers between their chest cannons and take selfies.Duh.
In response to Avidanimefan
These HTML5 game editors are popping out like crazy now. I've seen 4 in the past week.

One issue is that BYOND is not HTML5, although the webclient may utilize HTML5, the BYOND core itself is not HTML5.

BYOND can be played across any platform with the webclient. You can easily make an iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, etc., app to embed a webclient game. There's also the top-secret classified standalone client.

Open-source is not really something that's destined for BYOND, in my opinion. Mostly because of account and asset security. The only option I can think of is if BYOND became open-source, that the distributions of BYOND would have to create their own hub as to not have any access to the BYOND hub and it's data, for security reasons.
So, if I took BYOND open-source and built my own entity, I would have to make my own hub and players coming from BYOND to my BYOND distribution would have to create new accounts and I would have to manage the security and servers behind that.

BYOND supports groups of people playing on servers; BYOND has built-in networking support.

Now, there is one feature that these HTML5 editor clones do have that BYOND needs: More I/O support for things like controllers and touch-screen and maybe even cross-hardware support like making an Android/iOS app that directly communicates with games (ex: the Pipboy app for Fallout 4).
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
I think you went left field with this.
My understanding is that the web client in all it's versions is extremely buggy atm. Also I've been told that knowledge on the web client is expressly being limited to prevent people from using it to it's full capability.

I mentioned this being open source because it would allow anyone interested in improving the current web client's abilities an eye in (so to speak)

The fact that a "super secret" anything being shared among those "deemed worthy" is a bit suspect to begin with.

Every successful model for community based gaming on the internet doesn't impose as many restrictions as byond.

I've only been here a short time developing, but from what I've seen and heard, people are concerned about the community dying.

All the while actively keeping a tight leash on things that should have been included from day 1.

The goal is to share the product with as many people as possible and make it as accessible as possible, that in turn will increase the revenue flowing into the site.

This is one major thing BYOND fails at, for several reasons.
1) Everything is tied into the community.
That wouldn't be an issue except
2) BYOND's community is fairly toxic and exists of social classes (Non-Anime Lovers and Anime Lovers) I'm sure there's more out there but those are the two that pop to mind. The problem is that the Non Anime lovers believe it's okay to go around bashing anyone who makes anime related gaming.
3) unfortunately BYOND's player base is largely interested in ANIME related gaming. It's one of the largest things that keeps people returning to the community.
4)Because anime lovers face persecution and bias , they don't post, therefore the forums aren't active.
5) That defeats the purpose of tying people into the community. At that point it becomes something for only a core group of people. Unless those core group of people are going to actively support the community, eventually it will die. There's no question about it.
6) Even if they don't want to use the forums, the pager isn't a better alternative. The pager often freezes and crashes my PC, and I've seen/heard many say the same.
7) If you don't run any byond game with pager active, your graphics are severely degraded. Why? Not sure. I can only surmise it's an attempt to, once again, tie people into the community.

There's currently no way to break this circle. Of course you will have people that say "nothing is wrong", but that's because the system suits them, and they have no need to say anything.

You need outside exposure, and that doesn't have to come from games. It comes from getting your product into as many hands as possible. No Exe program to allow people to play games offline or independently-
Dream Daemon is cool but it could use an overhaul in terms of looks and a bit more added functionality.

BYOND in general is lacking tons of info about many things, and aspects on how to use the product.

Am I saying open source BYOND? No.
Am I saying be less restrictive?
Definitely. Because it's a business model that has not worked at all-whatsoever, since the inception of BYOND.

Meanwhile you can see tons of examples of game development software that actually works.(in terms of exposure and increasing profit / revenue)

For a system that's been around nearly 20-30 years, it's growth and progression is stymied by many of the things I mentioned above..that's not really up for debate when many examples (such as this one, that is literally 1 year old) is doing some of the same things BYOND's doing, and doing them much better.
P.S. Link me to these HTML game editors you speak of.
Actually, not everything is tied into the community. You don't need the BYOND website at all to unleash the full capacity of BYOND. Look at NEStalgia; and for a while there Teridal was doing good.

I was joking about the "super secret standalone". It's just a feature that's available but you'll have to ask for it as it's not fully finished yet.
The webclient is pretty fresh, so there's bugs to be expected. BYOND will never be in a fully finished system, as it's constantly being improved and added upon.

A large sum of players are Anime based, because that's how the real world works. A lot of people in real life love Anime; that can't be avoided and there's nothing wrong with it, as long as rules and regulations are followed.
I have not seen any anime lovers face persecution and bias. When they break DCMA or Copyright laws--or even commonly when they create knock-off clones from copypasta source codes and release them as "their own original game", yes they do. But the same happens for non-Anime related games too.

I really don't see how BYOND is restrictive. The only other thing that you would be restricted on is access to the BYOND hub backend which you'll never gain access to because payment information, contact information, and other legal-bound data is stored there.
There's nothing in the software that restricts you at the moment, except the standalone client.

I think you're confusing BYOND for being fully developed and polished; which it isn't and will never be.

BYOND's business model has kept it surviving for over 15 years now, you can't say that about any other game development software that is free. Those HTML5 game-makers are new, since HTML5 is new. Again, BYOND is not HTML5 and probably never will be because of bytecode.

That's like expecting BYOND to put in a gas-electric hybrid motor for a 40-year old classic car still rocking a carburetor. People like it, it works, it's been proven to work. Is it the most efficient and best technology out there? Nope. But then again, when HTML5 becomes obsolete, what will happen to these HTML5 game-makers? Will they scratch their whole entire system and rebuild to accompany the newest technology too? The difference is, BYOND is keeping it's outdated technology, but adding in future features.
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
P.S. Link me to these HTML game editors you speak of.

https://ceilfire.com/browse/most-played
http://www.tululoo.com/
http://booty5.com/
http://www.html5gamedevelopment.com/html5-engines/ gamemaker-html5

Just google: "HTML5 game maker" -- you'll find an almost endless result of HTML5 game makers coming out every week.
None of those seem to have the server feature that Superpowers has.

It's basically like Dream Daemon is for BYOND. Still interesting though, thanks.
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
http://booty5.com/

Yeah, a website called "booty5" is TOTALLY a game development site.

What, you think I'm stupid?
In response to EmpirezTeam
Clicked it.
The booty is real.