ID:2021361

What options am I looking at for exposing games to the world?

Webclient is something I have sort of been avoiding, simply because it's still being worked on. Eventually I'd like to get more in depth with it, as lately I feel like I've hit the wall with practical coding in DM and there being little else I can really learn.

Ideally I'd like to expose my work to as many people as possible so I'm curious what webclient represents in that aspect.
Pc obviously.
Websites?
Facebook?
Consoles?

HTML5 is supported by any operating system that people actually care about. This makes the webclient supported by Windows, Mac, Linux, Andriod and Apple devices, etc. HTML5 games may also be embedded on websites, too, and is basically the only thing you can do with the webclient right now. I believe Lummox has a stand-alone version, but it's only available to select games due to some issues. As far as consoles go, possibly? I doubt console support will be added any time soon, if ever.
In response to Reformist
I hear that, you can use iframes essentially. But how does that work.
Websites (thank you Google for anyone searching for "Naruto Game", Google changed their search algorithm a few months ago - but SEO still applies, so you should be able to boost your rating to reach a wider audience)

Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc. Remember Candy Crush?)

App/Game Stores (Apple, Android, Steam etc. Remember Flappy Bird?)

Reddit (Bordering Social Media, but Reddit has masses of indie developer-type communities you could appeal to and you could make your own subreddit)

You could reach all of these using BYOND, yes it's a small engine but it has more potential than a lot of people give it credit for.
So the general consensus is that "yes you can do all this"
but no one has ever done it, nor can point others in the right direction how to get started?
Seems a bit odd doesn't it?
Webclient this, webclient that-but there's literally 0 support for it and very little documentation?

Guess I'll just roll up my sleeves and figure it out myself as usual , although I've never really worked with an engine that makes things difficult, usually you want it to be more accessible to people.
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
Webclient this, webclient that-but there's literally 0 support for it and very little documentation?

Wrong.
In response to Doohl
I checked out your 3 article set a while back.
That falls under 'very little documentation', especially seeing as how it's woefully incomplete.
Wtf is your idea of "documentation"? there's a whole article explaining the web client's features and capabilities. Or do you also want us to teach you HTML5, JavaScript and CSS?
Nobody has done it for a few reasons: 1) Nobody has a product that is ready for public exposure. 2) The webclient is still relatively new, so people are still experimenting and pushing boundaries with what can be done.

If you want someone to hold your hand through each step then you may want to go and google marketing. BYOND has little exposure outside of it's own community.
In response to GreatPirateEra
Open DM.

Press f1.

Documentation.

Questions?
In response to Devirian
I'm sorry you seem to be misunderstanding the situation.
I don't need or want hand holding.

When you add new features to an engine, it's often documented in some form for those who wish to use it.

Examples :

Please remove yourself from the conversation if you're not going to be helpful in any way.

You guys seem keen to argue, when there is no argument. New features need to be documented in order for people to use them properly. Just throwing your hands up and saying "oh well we aren't going to hold your hand huh dur"

makes 0 sense.

Sure, every developer who comes along could go out of their way to draw forth the inner workings and deeper mysteries of new features.

But they shouldn't have to.
F1 is meant as a DM reference. It's obviously not going to cover how to use the webclient, as the code isn't even DM. The only thing you need as documentation is how to implement JavaScript, CSS styling and HTML5 on BYOND, and Lummox made an article about it. You can't expect to find things that you aren't trying to look for. You'll find it EASILY if you searched through the forums.
In response to Devirian
Further examples :
When unity released it's 2D update to the engine a while back, it didn't do so without documentation explaining how to begin to use it's functions or atleast giving you an idea of what is possible by using the new additions.

You're literally arguing against common sense here if you're going to sit here and say I'm requesting some sort of "hand holding".

The Webclient Developer's Guide may be of use to you.
I find it funny how you seem to think I am not qualified to talk and went as far as sending me a private message about what you seem to think are your accomplishments, which in my eyes are nothing but piece of shit, unsuccessful "games", if you could call it that. Why don't you get over yourself and fucking listen to what people are saying. It took me no more than 2 seconds to find the link I sent you. Every post of yours is filled with toxic replies to the ones who are trying to help. Wtf man?
In response to FKI
Thank you FKI-sama the great, you are such a benevolent and wise being.
You truly shine a bright light upon the blight that is the forums with your wisdom and purity/

*editted for effect*
In response to GreatPirateEra
I'm sorry what?
I haven't been toxic to anyone since I got here.
It's actually the other way around. As evidenced by your reply.

lol.
i like where this thread is headed, keep it up boys
If you want to use a working webclient, use Unity. If you decide to just make a game in DM, you'll find yourself shot in the foot by requirements of downloading BYOND and making a key.
Page: 1 2