In response to Ter13
What kind of art do you want to make?
I don't really like the 3d kind of stuff it looks wierd on byond, I prefer icons that are on DU or SS13.
What kinds of games' art do you appreciate?
Bleach: World Wide Adventures, DU and sidescrollers.
Take a look at some of the games you like, and start looking at specific pieces of art to try to understand a general style. That's the first place to look. Then start trying to draw and understand that style, and over time with practice and self-criticism you will start to develop your own.
Good Idea!
No offense intended here to any of these games you mentioned.

My advice is to look outside of BYOND's game library for art inspiration.

Look at professional and indie games that use pixel art as a medium.

All three of the games you mentioned have absolutely awful art.

In the case of SS13, the art has been steadily improving over the years. Some of it is really, really good now, but art has never really been the focus of SS13. It's always about features and content. Art is there just to make sure you can see the features that you can interact with.

In the case of DU and WWA, their art is stolen from dozens of different places and jammed together with no unifying style or palette. They look awful because the art they are using is not meant to go together. It's all just pilfered from all over the place and you just won't learn a single good thing from those games' art.

Do yourself a favor and check out low-fi pixel art. When you start getting the hang of making stuff on the small scale you can start learning techniques to go bigger and more colorful.

The #1 mistake that beginning artists make is trying to go too big too fast. Using too many colors is also a common pitfall. You start trying to put texture in art, and the form disappears.

Just use solid color shapes and learn directional shading first. You'll build your skills so fast that way.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
All three of the games you mentioned have absolutely awful art.

So it's okay for you to call people's art awful, just not me.

Gotcha.
In response to EmpirezTeam
All in the name of constructive criticism.
Page: 1 2 3