ID:2023008

BYOND Version:509
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Firefox 43.0
Applies to:Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When I start Dream Daemon instead of broadcasting my static IP it broadcasts my actual IP. Neither the hub link or the Dream Daemon link work, but if I put the static IP in the link it does work.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Start Dream Daemon with port forwarded IP and static IP set.
2. Click go.
3. Press 'Join' on the hub.

Expected Results:
Connecting to the game.

Actual Results:
Not connecting to the game.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
When you join through the link on Dream Daemon or on the hub.
In other games?
Yes.
In other user accounts?
Yes.
On other computers?
Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When you join through the host or the corrected IP link.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
When you join through the host or the corrected IP link.
What do you mean by "actual IP" exactly? Any IP address that might possibly refer to your system is your actual IP.
Lummox you're alive? Goodness, I wonder which timezone you're running on. I'm talking about my original IP address before it's static. To put it into perspective if you were to google "what's my ip?" then you would get the actual IP.
Okay, so by "actual IP" you're referring to your external IP address that the world sees you by, and "static IP" you mean to refer to your internal LAN address?

If that's the case, then the behavior you're seeing is absolutely correct. Your internal IP would be useless to anyone outside of your LAN.
By "static IP" I mean the IP I entered when port forwarding. By "actual IP" I mean the IP people would normally see.
Your terminology is really off. You basically have two IPs you're looking at: One is the internal LAN IP, and the other is the external WAN IP. The external one is the one that's meant to be broadcast, because that's the only one that people can try to connect to. Your internal IP is only valid on your LAN behind the router.
Right, so what do you think the problem is? This is the static IP it's able to connect through:
https://gyazo.com/7d0d60d42c015fb0bb897ecb1c8c4831
However the one that doesn't work is my public IP address. If you click play or copy and paste the game link from Dream Daemon that's what you get.

[Edit]
Sorry that my terminology differs. I only know what I know from what I've read about port forwarding.

The link is byond://174.117.19.35:2404

This link appears to only work on LAN byond://192.168.0.150:2404

It says that the port can be reached.
In response to Turtlezgod
byond://192.168.0.150:2404 will only work inside your network. It's possible your router doesn't support a thing called NAT Loopback, which means any port forwarding isn't applied from inside the network; this means attempting to use byond://174.117.19.35:2404 from inside the network will fail, because the router won't forward the connection to the server. From outside the network, the latter (174.*) link is the one that will work.
The router doesn't actually need NAT loopback; without it, the system should just try to connect to the remote IP, which won't take long since the ISP will direct it back to itself, and port forwarding takes over from there.
One important question: Is it the only router in play? If you have a router built into your cable modem for instance, that too would need to be setup.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The router doesn't actually need NAT loopback; without it, the system should just try to connect to the remote IP, which won't take long since the ISP will direct it back to itself, and port forwarding takes over from there.

Without NAT loopback, the router will notice its own external IP on the packet, say "Oh, that's me", and drop the packet because it's not listening on that port.
Yes I have a router built into a cable modem. The port is apparently forwarded, but no one can connect to it. I remember fixing it last time I hosted a game even though I'm completely clueless now.
Trying to host still. Anyone have a clue as to how I can fix this?
If it's what I suspect it is, it's not broken at all. Is your server up currently?
No because it can't be connected to.
Can you put it up so I can test it?
I tested it many times with many people and I just turned off my PC so not at the moment. Just take my word for it what happens is it says connecting... then it disconnects and goes to a default Byond screen because it didn't load.
Is the router you configured a separate one from your modem, or is it the one on the modem itself? Because if you have a separate one, you need to configure both.
The modem and the router are the same.
What kind of router is it? Maybe there's more info that we need here.

Typically when port forwarding is setup, and subsequently breaks, it's because the user didn't tell the router that their specific computer should always have the same IP. You said your internal IP is static now, so I think that's unlikely to be the case, but your screenshot of the router configuration screen didn't actually show which computer the BYOND traffic is being directed to. A screenshot that shows more info would be helpful. (You can always redact any parts of the shot you don't want to show.)

Also, while this won't impact anything, you don't have to allow UDP traffic for BYOND; it doesn't use UDP at all, so TCP alone will work.
Page: 1 2