ID:2024718

I'm wondering if there will ever be a new byond engine that is recoded from the ground up using a more powerful up to date things. Like particle system, 3d graphics,etc. what do you guys think? would you want one or maybe even think its do able or what?
It's not practical, nor should it be done. The current game engine's out there are far too accessible and well developed to really justify this. BYOND is already a small fish, and they'd have a harder time staying around if they jumped into that huge ocean.

By staying 2d and refining what is already made and possible, BYOND still retains a chance to continue growth.
Not to mention the cost to do something like this would be astronomical.
I would prefer staying with 2D cause if byond goes 3D probably many BYONDers will go to unity
Lol BYOND isn't designed for 3D, but you can always find ways to create raycasting. Particle systems can be created, but the larger ones can be quite costing in CPU. BYOND is on an indirect path to a better engine, always. I don't think Lummox will do anything rash, don't worry.
Looks like I have to intervene.

Insomniaddikt wrote:
It's not practical, nor should it be done. The current game engine's out there are far too accessible and well developed to really justify this. BYOND is already a small fish, and they'd have a harder time staying around if they jumped into that huge ocean.

By staying 2d and refining what is already made and possible, BYOND still retains a chance to continue growth.

He never stated it had to be an official release. I can do it.

Nadrew wrote:
Not to mention the cost to do something like this would be astronomical.

I don't understand what you mean by cost. DirectX is free. Are you referring to the potential loss in profits from Lee digressing from BYOND's software updates? Again, OP never stated it'd have to be an official release, and DirectX is free.

There is no cost, only time investment.

Konlet wrote:
Lol BYOND isn't designed for 3D, but you can always find ways to create raycasting. Particle systems can be created, but the larger ones can be quite costing in CPU. BYOND is on an indirect path to a better engine, always. I don't think Lummox will do anything rash, don't worry.

Blah blah blah. It does not even need to run on the CPU. People are just so single minded, aren't they? Oh wow, because everyone here is either too inept or doesn't care, so it's impossible.

Aww.