ID:2025629

Not a bug
BYOND Version:510.1320
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 47.0.2526.111
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
We have client screen overlays we show at certain times (one for blindless, one for damaged that gives a red overlay to the screen, etc), and they don't seem to work like they should, they show up at all times, and one that is designed to capture clicks made on blacked out parts of the map (because the usr can't see it) is being clicked all the time, rather then how it used to work.

I don't yet know how any of these things actually operate, or how they hide and show up, but this is a holder until i figure out more info.

Edit, they operate via layers.
I'm also having an issue. I'm noticing that the entire screen is covered and either whited out or blacked out.

click catcher works by setting it's layer to 0, so that it's always below everything else, but not the black "you can't see the tile" map background, but now it seems it's showing above everything,

the blindness overlay works by setting it's layer to 0 for off, and 17 for on (ya. it's a shit system, its old code, we will fix that now that we know)

so basically layers aren't working on screen objects.
I didn't put this in the docs yet, but HUD objects don't interlayer anymore. They always appear above regular objects on the same plane unless you use one of the special layers. You should use planes for this.

Granted, the new rendering doesn't necessarily need this like I thought it would, though that will come into play more once the webclient covers this stuff.
alright, so how would we got about making the click catcher, I don't know much about planes or layers or what not, I haven't had any excuse to fuck with that code

it's behavior is that it should be clickable if and only if the tile is occluded (either from no lum, or a opaque object blocking the view)

this allows us to allow shooting down dark corridors.

Seems like your on/off code for the blindness overlay could simply be replaced by setting the plane instead of the layer.

The click catcher could have a negative plane or BACKGROUND_LAYER.
ref says background_layer isn't available on topdown map formats.

so i would have to do -100 plane?
Shoot, you're right. I'll remove the restriction on the special layers for the next release.

In the meantime any negative plane will probably do.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)