ID:2026822

Not Feasible
Applies to:DM Language

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
The new PLANE_MASTER is awesome and allows for some cool lighting effects, and can essentially replace client.color.

The issue is that if a developer was using NO_CLIENT_COLOR to ignore the client color in order to make objects look as though they were a light source (and unaffected by the ambient lighting created by client.color), they can't do this with planes that are used for lighting.

I wonder if it'd be feasible to have a flag that allows an object to ignore any planes that are above it, in order for it to "bleed through" in a similar way that objects with NO_CLIENT_COLOR appear when client.color is set.

Suggested name for this would be IGNORE_PLANES

An example of an issue caused by not having this. Let's say I'm using planes and a PLANE_MASTER to get some sweet dynamic lighting.

I create a projectile that can travel behind some object, but these objects are underneath the PLANE_MASTER, as is the projectile.

If the projectile has a light attached to it (which exist on the same plane as the PLANE_MASTER), then when the projectile goes behind the object, the light will go above it, which looks crummy.

I believe this feature will allows players to do a bit more with the new possibilities of PLANE_MASTER and planes.

Thanks for reading.
Nope, that wouldn't be feasible at all, but it sounds like whatever you're trying to do could probably be handled a different way. I'm not sure I fully understand the setup you're going for.
Damn. I think there might be a way to avoid what I'm talking about (the example).

I'll try it out, but if this isn't feasible then I understand.
Okay, mark this as either not feasible or redundant.

I realize you can ignore your "lighting layer" by making a light source which essentially is a duplicate of whatever you want to have ignore the lighting, turn it white, and use it as a lighting effect, to basically carve a hole out of the lighting layer.

Like imagine if the light sources in your lighting example where pixel for pixel matches with the mob and pyramids. It'd just look like they're ignoring/above the shade caused by the plane master.
couldn't you just have your projectiles layer be over the lighting layer?
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not Feasible)
In response to Somepotato
Somepotato wrote:
couldn't you just have your projectiles layer be over the lighting layer?

If I do that then they also appear above all objects on the map that are affected by the lighting layer.

I want the projectiles to be able to move behind objects often.
If I do that then they also appear above all objects on the map that are affected by the lighting layer.

Create an /image object which is set to the plane's layer. This image object should be a perfect silhouette of your projectile. This will allow your projectile to shine through the lighting pass.

Now if only we could get global-by-default /image objects...
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

Create an /image object which is set to the plane's layer. This image object should be a perfect silhouette of your projectile. This will allow your projectile to shine through the lighting pass.

Now if only we could get global-by-default /image objects...

I actually realized that it still doesn't solve the issue I'm having, because the image will still be above everything else, and will cause the lighting effect to appear above objects that are also above the object that I want to "glow".

I saw an example of it being done though, so I'm going to ask around to see if I can get it working the same way they have it. I think they may be using multiple planes and plane masters.