ID:2027722

I see a lot of potential in Byond, but it isn't known enough.
Byond should be advertised, the anime based games would attract a big audience.
I mean really, do you people know how many anime fans looked for an online game version of the anime they liked, true that most wouldn't like the 2D idea, but I'm sure a lot would stick and stay to play.

What bothers me is that if you search for example
(Bleach/Naruto/anyotherfucking anime) online/multiplayer, you would find bullshit browser based games or none at all and you wouldn't find the byond games that exist.

One of the problems is that most videos of byond games on Youtube don't use SEO.
SEO means Search Engine Optimisation, and if it was used byond would get a lot people to join just because of it's youtube videos.

To sum everything up, I think Byond should be advertised, because as I see, it has a lot of potential. It should be advertised with Youtube videos(free), start using SEO on google so it's easier to find Byond over different tags and maybe some paid ads on google/youtube.

This is just my personal opinion, you don't need to take any of this seriously.
Advertising the anime games is a good way to come under legal fire. You do realize fangames are illegal, right?
The safest way to advertise BYOND is to make it all about developing. BYOND can't be sued for what people DO with their product (making fangames). But as long as BYOND tries to be a gaming site AND a devlopment site, the hands are tied.
I was paying Google Adsense to show ads for my game. I was paying them 100$ a month for 4 months. I got 16,000 clicks on the Ad per month for that 100$. And I saw no rise in my game's player count at all.

I gained not 1 player from the Ad. But it said it had 16,000 clicks. What is the deal with that?

My point is that advertising is harder than I thought or I did something very wrong.
Theoretically I thought that at least 20% of the people who clicked the Ad actually had an interest in 2D DBZ Multiplayer games. Then I thought at least 12% of that 20% would like what they saw and actually play the game. Then I thought at least 30% of that 12% would be long term players.

That should have got me +115 players at least in just the first month. And +460 players after 4 months of advertising. But it resulted in no new players.
In response to Lizard_Sphere_X
I think what you're failing to see is that your game sucks absolute ballsacks for new players. If you don't understand what's going on before you start there's absolutely no guidance once you start the game and then once you understand what you're doing you start getting dominated by people that paid more money than you. It's a game that only attracts whales, and even for them there's a fairly steep learning curve.

Edit: I would like to add though that it's probably been over a year since I've checked out the game, so I don't know how much has been updated since then.
Actually I do understand that the experience for new players is completely terrible but out of 64,000 clicks I would think at least some of those people who knew upfront that it was a "2d dragon ball z fangame" would have played and caused a noticeable increase in the player count.

I suspect they were all bot clicks or something, not real people clicking.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
While I probably wouldn't have worded it quite like that, I think this is only skimming the surface of the host of problems your game has.

First of all, the less clicks it takes the player to begin playing your game, the better. Right now, BYOND is not a very good platform to market to players not already on BYOND, because in order to even begin playing your game, they have to download the client, install it, create a key, re-search your game under the mountain of others just like it on the hub, download your game's resources and finally they get to start playing. When most games are download the game client, create an account (if it's an online game, skip this for any non-multiplayer game) and start playing through the tutorial to learn.

This can be solved with the use of BYONDexe, which is good, but only fixes the logistical platform issues. It won't make a crap game good.

With you're project, they're more than likely bombarded with a painfully bad UI, some of the most unintuitive controls since QWOP and a art assets that look like they were drawn by a 13-year-old(But, they probably were, so I guess no points off there.). There's absolutely no learning curve other than "figure it out, we were too lazy to put in a tutorial," and even after all that, even if they get past the terrible graphics and poor controls and absolutely no helpful features that aids them in playing the game what-so-ever, they're left wandering around some of the worst designed maps in gaming history with absolutely zero game to play. There is no gameplay. None. You may think there is, but there isn't.

That it's why you can have 16k clicks from people excited to play an online DBZ knock-off only for 95% of the potential players not wanting to screw with the BYOND client and the remaining 5% getting into the game only to see how awful it is before logging out, disgusted, uninstalling BYOND and leaving a permament bad taste in their mouth over anything even remotely related to the engine.

In the end, your ads are not only not helping you, but are more than likely actively hurting the BYOND community's potential growth as a whole... Advertising bad games causes everything indirectly having to do with that bad game to look bad as well.
In response to Lizard_Sphere_X
But was it good advertising?

Ideally, you want to target niches. A term like "2D DBZ Multiplayer games" is a bit ambiguous if your goal is to attract attention to your small game among many of the same category. You want to go into more detail and be specific when describing your product. The more specific you are in targeting your audience's need (what they are looking for; the reason they are searching), the better chance you are to convert those clicks into players.
There's a lot of people that have seen this website-- they go nope and then leave. Then there's another group of people that can't even connect at all, typically because of BYOND Central connection issues.

@Lizard_Sphere_X It's uncommon for people to be interested in works such as yours; merely paying for ads isn't good enough. Sorry not sorry.
Quick some one make a game that is great for attracting new byond users! We can make videos for Youtube and get the video to go viral.

Lets leave google ads out of this for now.
In response to Petja12
One game isn't enough and even if it were, that one game could just go off BYOND and be its own entity. BYOND is not a gaming website. It's not designed to be one.
In response to Petja12
Petja12 wrote:
We can make videos for Youtube [...]

Lets leave Google out of this for now.

I just-... I'm not going to say anything...
In response to Kats
No need to, if you don't want to.
In response to Petja12
Petja12 wrote:
No need to, if you don't want to.

*cough*

In response to Petja12
Lets leave "google ads" out of this for now.

I fixed it quickly after Kats comment, since you didn't understand what I meant by google.

I know Youtube was bought by Google.