ID:2035287

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.

I wonder if it would be possible to get new icon editing features such as being able to change:

-Hue
-Saturation
-Brightness
-Contrast

Not sure if/how the addition of atom colors helps in this regard, but if color matrices could be accessed during icon editing, then getting these functions are very simple.

Doing these during runtime is possible, but it becomes an issue when you have to do it multiple times per second, or want to apply multiple color effects at once (in which you'd have to combine matrices).

Having these functions in the editor would allow us to save the icons and movies with these effects.
Saturation, brightness, and contrast can all be modified via a matrix and therefore by MapColors() in code; although brightness can be done with straight multiplication. There's no editor equivalent however.

Hue is trickier. Rotating hues can't truly be done with a matrix because of the fact that hue rotation is actually a linear progression through RGB levels; currently it has to be done manually.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Saturation, brightness, and contrast can all be modified via a matrix and therefore by MapColors() in code; although brightness can be done with straight multiplication. There's no editor equivalent however.

That's my reasoning for this feature. To see if we can bring a few more features to the editor itself to keep developers from having to make these changes during runtime and allowing them to save the results easily.

I'm not sure how feasible it'd be to update the icon editor, but it would bring in some very useful features.
Honestly, I think this is unlikely. The icon editor isn't meant to be a full-featured image editor, and it seems like those things would be better handled by editing the file in another editor that keeps the .dmi's description field intact.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Honestly, I think this is unlikely. The icon editor isn't meant to be a full-featured image editor, and it seems like those things would be better handled by editing the file in another editor that keeps the .dmi's description field intact.

Do you know of any editor that does this? Because currently I can't find a way to do things like hue and saturation to an icon without breaking all of it's animations and having to manually get them all back in one by one.
Many image editors should be smart enough to keep a .png file's comments, etc. intact if you simply rename the file to .png first. You also have the option of using TweakPNG to copy down the description, and re-add it after the image editor is finished.
paint.net offers what you're looking for.
In response to Lummox JR
In seriousness I do believe the icon editor being improved would only help.
"Why give us a map-editor if we could just download Unity?"
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
paint.net offers what you're looking for.

It breaks them for me. change to png, open, modify, save, change back, single icon instead of animations/frames/etc