ID:2038547

(See the best response by Ter13.)
Ok, so I've opened up my files because some icon stuff has changed sometime in the last 6 months, and I'm completely confused how to set it up to do the same thing it used to.

What I used before was icons that are larger than world.icon_size, and then I'd offset it with pixel_x and pixel_y (I'm talking HUD icons here). Even if they were larger than world.icon_size they would still display in full size, so say if I had icons at 40x40 but I was using a 60x60 icon and then offset it, its still in the middle of a 2x2 tile grid.

What now happens is pixel_x and pixel_y doesn't work, which I believe is intended, and anything beyond the boundaries of world.icon_size now simply cuts off instead of being displayed.

I have two issues:

firstly, how do I go beyond the boundaries of icon_size.
secondly, the F1 files says pixel_x / y is now replaced with screen_loc = "x:pixel_x,y:pixel_y" but this does nothing to me, how am I supposed to offset HUD icons in client.screen?
What world.map_format are you using?
pixel_x and pixel_y never worked for screen objects, they've used that screen_loc format since they first got the ability to be offset.

What is your world.map_format set to? If anything. I'm not having any trouble showing objects of varied size on client.screen, no cutting off unless it extends outside of the screen view port, pixel offsets won't force the screen to expand like setting the whole values of screen_loc would.
Topdown_map, its what it was at some stage and I had no reason to change it.
"pixel_x and pixel_y never worked for screen objects"

Lol, it did until say 6-9 months ago :p the offset in screen_loc is definitely not working for me though.
In response to Acebloke
Acebloke wrote:
"pixel_x and pixel_y never worked for screen objects"

Lol, it did until say 6-9 months ago :p the offset in screen_loc is definitely not working for me though.

For the past 3 years I have tried, they have not worked for screen objects in that time.
Oh well, they definitely don't work now. its just bugging me why now the icons are chopped to icon_size when they didn't before. I can handle without the offsets, I just don't want to code some silly way of displaying larger icons since its supposed to be native.
You couldn't have seen pixel_x/y working months ago; they've literally never worked for screen objects, as Nadrew said. That's been documented in the reference since screen objects were introduced.

However, pixel_x/y will work on an overlay of a screen object, or (for the same reason) an image attached to one.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
However, pixel_x/y will work on an overlay of a screen object, or (for the same reason) an image attached to one.

Jeez why have I never thought of this!
Ok so regardless, what could be causing screen objects to cut at the boundary of icon_size? Am I missing something really obvious? It was working just fine before and I haven't changed any code.
You'd have to show some of your work, the only thing I recall changing for screen objects in that time is how interlayering them works on 510+
How does interlayering work now then?

obj/Something
icon = 'something.dmi' // bigger than icon_size
screen_loc = "2,11"

and then referenced with something like:

usr.client.screen += new/obj/Something

when being created (talking real simple I know), but this used to work, is it more difficult now?
Read the 510 release notes for more details on how screen objects are handled now.

As for your code, working perfectly fine for me, I made a 'something.dmi' with a 128x128 box and it appeared just fine when I added it to client.screen.
Best response
What may be happening is that you are seeing either screen or layer clipping.

Try increasing the plane variable of any screen objects to 100. Your HUD should ideally be part of a separate rendering pass than your map.
Your right, its working in a new environment, 11 year old Wargames code baffles me yet again... aghhhhhh. Is there anything you know of that would limit and cut icon size to the boundaries of icon_size?
Also with 510's changes, HUD objects will automatically move on top of any icons on the same plane. BACKGROUND_LAYER and EFFECTS_LAYER are taken into account also.
In response to Acebloke
Acebloke wrote:
Your right, its working in a new environment, 11 year old Wargames code baffles me yet again... aghhhhhh. Is there anything you know of that would limit and cut icon size to the boundaries of icon_size?

Nothing that comes to mind. I know if you use TILED_ICON_MAP, icons are loaded in a different way. But that's probably not in play, because it now has to be specified.
Ter13: Omg that did it, thanks! I can't believe it was as simple as that *facepalms* but at least it was as simple as that. Phewwwww.

Thanks for the help guys. I know I'm hard to work with.

I'm still a bit I-don't-get-why-offsetting-doesn't-work-anymore but I can work round that and you've managed to work out one of my stupid problems already.