ID:2039742

Not Feasible
Applies to:BYOND Pager

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Okay, this is BYOND so I expect to be flamed for this but since I've been here since 2001, I don't care.

Here's a simple feature. Don't lock out older versions of Byond. Let us choose what we want to use. I personally use 498.1163 for multiple reasons. The update news on the pager states that all versions BEFORE 498.1164 will be disabled... Fantastic, but why...? First off, I despise the new pager. It's slow and laggy and for my PC, that says something...

Besides, I know the term "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" obviously doesn't apply to you guys but damn... Seriously?

My point is, you shouldn't FORCE us to use the versions we don't want to use...
One:

I can make a server that if you connect to under 498 or really any version before 507 will install a trojan letting me remote control your computer, or even just watch for when you enter in your bank password so I can snoop in and send the funds to mine.

Use old shit, get exploited. Welcome to the internet.

Two:

Byond doesn't want to have to have the hub software have a million different client protocol formats, so they are deactivating some of the older ones, understandable, They don't have to keep old code on their server for your sake.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)

Nadrew (Dial-up Windows 98 for lyfe) resolved issue (Not Feasible)

My irony boner could cut glass right now.

Keep rocking that outdated OS and seventh world internet, you glorious bastard.
You know damn well you read my adventures in updating to Windows 10, my internet was classified as broadband until the FCC changed the definition of broadband!
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
One:

I can make a server that if you connect to under 498 or really any version before 507 will install a trojan letting me remote control your computer, or even just watch for when you enter in your bank password so I can snoop in and send the funds to mine.

Two:

Byond doesn't want to have to have the hub software have a million different client protocol formats, so they are deactivating some of the older ones, understandable, They don't have to keep old code on their server for your sake.

I'm very well aware of the consequences of using older versions, I personally couldn't care less. I don't host or play anyone's games on here, I only keep coming back to Byond out of habit. I'm very well aware of the points you made but my point was that we shouldn't be forced to use newer versions.

Besides, the pager message stated all versions prior to 498.1164 would be disabled, but the download link for that version doesn't even work anyways.
If you're aware of the consequences you're aware of the reason you're forced onto the more secure versions.
Regardless of the reasons, I wont use it. When it comes time to be forced to upgrade, I still wont. I'll just port my game to Unity like alot of other people have already done.
Do you actually have a reason for this decision? Also, why not just go to Unity right now?
Urrrmg he threatened to go to unity