ID:2039888

Resolved
client.RenderIcon() can now be used to create an icon file from an appearance, leveraging the client's rendering capabilities. Additionally, appearance reference strings (from the ref() proc or \ref operator) should be usable in outputs and browser controls.
Applies to:DM Language

This issue has been resolved.
It's hard to export the appearance of something, it requires you to do all the operations on the overlays, underlays, etc... and that's probably gonna get even harder with 510 due to KEEP_TOGETHER.

It'd be incredibly nice if there was a proc like appearance.toIcon() that "exported" the appearance to a /icon datum for use in other procs (a big one that comes to mind is browse_rsc()).

Another way to do it would be icon(appearance) or something like that, which wouldn't require a new proc to be added.
Agreed, we actually brought this up to Lummox when he was first implementing the appearance variable, he said it was doable but not priority.
This feature would be very helpful for icon handling and consistency on in-game images, for example.
the suggested syntax was just to make the icon() proc support taking in an appearance.
Another potential idea somebody gave me for the syntax could be something like an appearance var on icons, then doing icon.appearance = otherappearance would have the same effect.

Not my idea though.
bumping this after growing a few grey hairs trying to optimize our getFlatIcon() proc while thinking man, if only there was a byond way to do this.

+1 to this.
I +1 this every time someone bumps it, bump bump, been bumping it since before the feature existed in the language.
this would be really helpful
+1, mostly for the same reasons MSO gave; getFlatIcon, at least as used on Bay, is ludicrously slow.
Icon flattening is slow, no matter how you do it, I've tried soooo many different methods.
+1 I've tried so many things to make flattening icons faster, please lummox.
Perhaps a lot of work to make, but it would be an extremely useful feature for those using the language.
After encountering yet another bug/oddity with our hacky getflaticon(), I have come to only one conclusion, we NEEDS this.
In response to MrStonedOne
Honestly surprised it took you this long to come to that conclusion to be honest.
+1 to this.
super plus one!
And another getflaticon() bug!

Help us lummox one, you're our only hope!
Listified.
var/icon/i = new/icon(mob.appearance)

I beg you (constructing the appearance manually with Blend would mean having to record the order of each overlay to achieve the desired effect)
Page: 1 2 3