ID:2045493

BYOND Version:509 and 510
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 44.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Dream Seeker freezes after the advertisement plays. Literally locks up and says 'has stopped responding.'

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:No idea whats causing it, sadly.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results: Runs fine.

Actual Results: Freeze up after ad.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Every time, every game. Sometimes it doesn't crash, but instead switches to be a 'background process' in task manager, and take up lots of system resources! Up to 30% of the processor.
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers? No, but this computer has been reformatted recently!

When does the problem NOT occur? Only on my other computer!

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) No idea, I went back and tried an older 400 version, but even it crashed.

Workarounds: None that I know of!

Make sure you apply all system updates that are pending, so Windows 10 has the most up-to-date version of Flash. I would also check to see if you can play games locally. If you make a simple world in Dream Maker and try to run it, does Dream Seeker freeze then?

Also, are you using Avast? It can cause Dream Seeker to become unresponsive while it waits for resources that Avast has locked up. If so, you need to add all of BYOND to the exceptions list for Avast.
Lummox u need to get rid of ads, its really sucky and discusting you need to come up with better ways to make moeny. For example make memberships worth buying. Ads isnt the way to go trust me. Making devs pay for ads free isnt the way to go also. Better solution is to Make the BYOND Membership which is a BYOND signture Work for the 3 Partys involved BYOND owner(You), Players, and Game Developers. You need to come up with a System where Developers can Make a Player get a byond membership for himself doing so it gives that Developer a % of the membership. The Player gets to enjoy the features of having am membership on BYOND and the bonuses that come with it in the Game he got the membership from, Not only that but with all other games that involve membership bonuses.
I'd happily get rid of ads if the Membership numbers were high enough. One of the things I have in the works, though, is an option for hosts and authors to pay against ads, disabling either a certain number of them or disabling them for a time, for all their players.
ADS idea needs to get scratched off you arnt big as Youtube where they have the content to support that kind of ads disabling for the 10 dollars a month memberships. Best solution is to actually get developers and players involved with BYOND membership like I said BYOND membership can be a signature thing where people would want to have it because of A: Website Features: B: Supports BYOND DEV and GAME DEVs. C: Ingame Features and bonuses.

I as dev when someone wants to donate 10 dollars I woudnt mind saying Look do it with this Link:Link is a reference to byond membership with My reference. Where the 3 of us get something out of it. Instead of only Dev and Player. Make it Worth not just for the Player but for the Developer aswell. And we devs would gladly do it that way.
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
You need to come up with a System where Developers can Make a Player get a byond membership for himself doing so it gives that Developer a % of the membership.

There is already a referral system in place, where users who register from a link that contains a key's tag (?invite=your_key_here) and purchases a membership, forwards a portion of those proceeds to your BYOND wallet for withdrawal.

More information about the referral program can be found here, or from any hub page by clicking the "share" link.
I've seen this and its to basic for it been worth doing. What I'm talking about is a full on feature something that is Worth doing for the partys involved this isnt a charity.
In response to Lummox JR
Well, I'm not using Avast, and I just recently fully updated my W10. Does Dream Seeker require things like .NET 4.5 or Visual C++ redists at all...?
The files it needs should already be on your system, especially if you did a full install with the .exe.
Weird.. It still crashes. I'll try adding it to my windows firewall, but it already asked, I'm certain.
Is it maybe because Byond is 32bit installed in P. Files (x84) and I'm on a 64bit computer...?
A big issue here also is that as far as I can tell, Dream Seeker is not crashing on you; it's apparently hanging, and there's a difference. If it crashes, there should be info in the Windows event viewer. And if there is, I'll need that info.

Did you try running a project directly from Dream Maker as I suggested? That's still vital info that would be helpful.
In response to Lummox JR
Just tested an older SS13 build. It had the same problem. Asked me about a lot of read only files, I said yes to them all, and then it just went to my background applications and ate up resources again.
This is a symptom of the Avast issue.
In response to Somepotato
But I don't have avast, which bugs me...
If it's not Avast, then it's likely to be something else. What do you have for antivirus and security software? The fact that Dream Seeker is getting stuck--not just on new builds but on old ones--is indicative of it waiting on system resources.

And again if there's any crash going on here at all, I need details from the event viewer.
In response to Lummox JR
Still no crashes, it just either freezes up and stops responding, or it disappears into the background processes. I use Malware Bytes active protection, but I've added it to the exclusions.

I even just tried disabling both windows firewall, and MBAM. That didn't help... Hm. Let me try reinstalling.
In response to Lummox JR
Okay, reinstalling didn't fix it. Sorry I haven't kept you posted on here.
What does the Windows event viewer have to say?
In response to Lummox JR
Not sure where to look in it.
Page: 1 2