Icon Ultima

by Enigmaster2002
Icon Ultima
ID:2045521

So it's likely that everyone has noticed the loss of the Tibbius server and everything it supported, ranging from the moderately disused shell server to functions like Confucius, bug reporting, and Wiznet.

It likely isn't coming back.

The host files have been moved elsewhere so they're still available for download, but the last I heard was that a minimum version number was going to be enforced to make sure nobody simply didn't update to avoid the spyware versions of BYOND. It's likely in this shuffle that IU lost its ability to run on newer versions.

The only reason I'm not around is because I run Linux now which basically means I have a useless Dream Seeker client. I can't use or test half the crap in the code so I just gave up on it. The source still isn't going anywhere though, since BYOND doesn't need another gaggle of slapdash edits to a public source.

There was waning interest in IU as a whole anyway. Its heyday was what, 2005? There was a spike of activity shortly after it was published into the official chat channel and then the entire system was gutted shortly afterward anyway, so the glory was pretty short lived.

It's about time to move onto better things anyway. BYOND's heyday was well before IU's.
What about the sources of versions prior to 2010, will they be an exception if there is a legitimate reason?
IU only has one source. It's been made from the ground up three times and each iteration saw the deletion of the last one, and every update overwrote the code of the last one.

Every "source" below the current version number (99 point something? I forgot months ago) doesn't exist.
Spyware? What?
so Wumbachumba, Tibby, Zvu, etc left ya?

sounds like Arthosa won in the end.
Light_Samurai has defeated Mobius. =(
Yeah no, Arthosa lost at least 11 years ago when IU was published to the official chat channel. Saying he won is like saying the Germans won WW1 because Woodrow Wilson died six years after it ended.
In response to Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon wrote:
Yeah no, Arthosa lost at least 11 years ago when IU was published to the official chat channel. Saying he won is like saying the Germans won WW1 because Woodrow Wilson died six years after it ended.

he lost the battle yet won the war ;)

has it really been 11 years? I feel so old now... I remember migrating to IU from IC and during IU's 95 update I used to host my own Resident Evil themed server and tried to recreate Raccoon City on more than one occasion :P
Damn. I've been on IU since 2008 (before I even had a BYOND account). It's a great shame the mainstream of the game is gone. I still remember the first time I met you, Mobius. I was younger and thought it was a miracle. Best wishes to you, I'll forever miss this game.
Hell man, I'm another one of these old fags from the last good era of IU back in 2009. I even made a new BYOND account after 5 years to check if any of you guys and have fun like in the old days, but to my surprised all that was left was just Hank from the old crew. I will forever cherish the memories and good times this game brought to a young and naive me. But like you said, it's time to move on into better and greater things.
Mobius Evalon wrote:
So it's likely that everyone has noticed the loss of the Tibbius server and everything it supported, ranging from the moderately disused shell server to functions like Confucius, bug reporting, and Wiznet.

It likely isn't coming back.

The host files have been moved elsewhere so they're still available for download, but the last I heard was that a minimum version number was going to be enforced to make sure nobody simply didn't update to avoid the spyware versions of BYOND. It's likely in this shuffle that IU lost its ability to run on newer versions.

The only reason I'm not around is because I run Linux now which basically means I have a useless Dream Seeker client. I can't use or test half the crap in the code so I just gave up on it. The source still isn't going anywhere though, since BYOND doesn't need another gaggle of slapdash edits to a public source.

There was waning interest in IU as a whole anyway. Its heyday was what, 2005? There was a spike of activity shortly after it was published into the official chat channel and then the entire system was gutted shortly afterward anyway, so the glory was pretty short lived.

It's about time to move onto better things anyway. BYOND's heyday was well before IU's.

I could always freely host this if you want, While I cannot promise there will be no downtime I can atleast say that It would be hosted for as long as I possibly can.

Hell, I will even make a discord for it, so that whats left of the IU community can stay in touch.

not sure specifically about the whole minimum version number snafu, whether you were referring to the BYOND version or the version of IU itself.

Icon Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/UAE9e4k
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
so Wumbachumba, Tibby, Zvu, etc left ya?

sounds like Arthosa won in the end.

Nah man, still around. Just not here.
In response to Tiberath
Nah, everyone is dead.
Oh well.
Here's the Icon Ultima Discord.
https://discord.gg/zy44sJv

Make sure you '@IU survivors' to introduce yourselves.