Wargames

by Acebloke
Wargames
[AMT] Join the war or build a city
ID:2045984

Ok so I've been trying to knock out a new version, partly because there was some content I've already set aside for it, and partly because I wanted to get AI nations formally in and not just as a tester.

The great news is that my critical bug fix of it preventing new players joining (current ones could rejoin no problem) is now fixed yayyyy. In fact, I've now started work on my first "scenario" game with the AI, more yayyyy.

In my extensive testing however, I've come across an issue. Its annoying because I'm not 100% sure its limited to the AI. I was testing battles between multiple AI and I come across an issue, the problem is though it doesn't do it every time, in fact; it takes between 50-300 battles to decide to happen. So the great Wargames bug bash happens again and I've been working on it for umpteen number of hours already to try and squash it.

The good news is that I've optimised battle code, something I was thinking of doing anyway given the delay it can cause of different range/speed units in the game, I've gotten rid of the gradual rush to the centre ground based upon real world values which is a bit unpractical for the game and gone for a speedier option (I'll describe it better once its been released).

The bad news is that the one line of code I can actually point it to is incredibly critical for its ability to even function, and there is no way of telling what exactly the issue is that causes the game to freeze-crash, only that it definitely happens 50-300 battles in, and it always only happens as a relation to battles between two countries which both have armies.

I have been dumbing down the code as much as I can to try and get it to work, and to be honest it hasn't gone well. I'm more sure than not it is a problem with the battle code itself and not the AI, so its something that needs fixing none the less, and AI is a feature I want to push out to continue Wargames development.

I will try and come up with a fix as soon as possible so I can re-release a stable 2.0 version but it could be tomorrow or it could be weeks away I just don't know.
So I've updated to the latest BYOND version, now even basic commands such as starting the game no longer work.

Its getting to the point where Wargames long and winded code may just be incompatible with the updates BYOND has received.

I won't lie, it presents a real challenge to try and get it to the point where the game even works anymore.