Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2046412

Last week we showed our latest iteration of our combat system. This week's our efforts were focused on improving those mechanics with the introduction of combos that can be performed by button combinations!

Essentially we're building taijutsu styles with static move sets with the potential for players to learn new Taijutsu styles. Fighting styles would be classed under three main categories; Power, Speed and Balanced. But enough of that, Let's get to it!

Key: L= Light attacks, H=heavy attack, cL= Charged light attack , cH= Charged heavy attack

L, L, L = Gust
Description: Gust is the usual combo a player would perform by pressing the left click button tree times. Two normal attacks are thrown and a final, more powerful one finishes the combo. The last attack as additional knockback. The player that executes this combo is put on a very brief delay before they can use basic attacks again. This acts as a 'break' in between combos. This doubles as a negative as the opposing players will be able to exploit and take advantage of this. However a heavy attack can be used instead of a light attack.

L, L, H = Whirlwind
Description: Whirlwind is another basic combo. 3 light attacks are thrown before a sweeping kick is delivered. if the combo is successful it causes a 'knockdown'.

H, L, L = Hurricane
Description: Hurricane breaks the normal combo route by starting with a heavy attack. This naturally means that it is much more difficult to pull off since heavy attacks allow other players time to react. The combo begins with a heavy punch, followed by two light attacks. The final light attack should be a spin punch.

L, L, cL = Gale
Description: Gale is an advanced combo within the gouken line. It is achieved by throwing two light attacks, pressing space to enter the charged state and then quickly throwing another light attack. the final attack would be augmented into a rising punch that 'knocks up'.

cH, cL, cL, cL = strong Hurricane
Description: strong Hurricane is another advanced combo. It is achieved by first entering the charged state and then throwing a heavy attack followed by three augmented light attacks. The initial heavy attack should stun the player before knocking them upward attacking them in air with 3 attacks that end with the player on the receiving end being sent crashing into the ground

If you're really good you can prolong another player's airtime by juggling them. Currently we're polishing up these mechanics and doing small tests to see how these function in multiplayer environments.

Here are some gifs of actual fights that bring all the current mechanics together..
These are quite large so I'll leave links to them only.

http://puu.sh/nseF9/6a79003c22.gif
http://puu.sh/nseNR/afb89f431e.gif

Meanwhile in the art department we've managed to update our clothing and hair to match the new animations. I moved away from making clothing for awhile to create new status bar.

Outside of Byond we've managed to get our first 100 followers on Tumblr!
Looks gorgeous! (y)
__
Is the screen size like NFF/Goa or fullscreen like NE?
In response to Shellfisch
Shellfisch wrote:
Looks gorgeous! (y)
__
Is the screen size like NFF/Goa or fullscreen like NE?

The screen size will be adjustable in the near future
Can't wait to test run this bad boy.
Yut Put wrote:
edit: that is the sexiest health bar ever drawn, is it using animate() or is it hand made?

animate()
Thank you. We do have some sound effects available but right now both punches sound the same. I'll definiately move that up our priority list since we've gotten feedback that light and heavy attacks are still being read as too similar.

The health bar is animated with Animate() yes.
Do you have any plans for attack queuing? It may help the reliability of many of the more difficult combos. Where if you attack with a light attack and click maybe a fraction of a second before you're actually ready, when you do come off your attack CD, you instantly make your next attack as you queued it. Maybe do queuing for attacks where you hit like 0.25 seconds before the first one finishes or something. I've seen a lot of combat systems use this and it be very well implemented.

If you did this, though, I'd probably suggest implementing some diminishing returns on the juggling mechanics, just in case skillful players find a cheap method of stunlocking and juggling.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Do you have any plans for attack queuing? It may help the reliability of many of the more difficult combos. Where if you attack with a light attack and click maybe a fraction of a second before you're actually ready, when you do come off your attack CD, you instantly make your next attack as you queued it. Maybe do queuing for attacks where you hit like 0.25 seconds before the first one finishes or something. I've seen a lot of combat systems use this and it be very well implemented.

If you did this, though, I'd probably suggest implementing some diminishing returns on the juggling mechanics, just in case skillful players find a cheap method of stunlocking and juggling.

This is already in set a 0.3 seconds.
skill players can never stun lock someone,at least not for a long period of time. Substitution charges charge up by you attacking someone or you getting attack by someone, if you get caught without charges thats on you, but no worries we'll help you out by letting you recover a charge and get out of that massive combo you just got yourself into.
In the end you'll take a lot of damage, but you wont get stuck in a loop till he k.o.'s you
Okay. I was curious how you guys were handling that. Charges probably seems like a bit of a cleaner method of handling this, more brickwally than diminishing returns.
How are the controls going to work? Cause it seems like it might be difficult
Our controls are different but the layout itself isn't new.

Left click light attacks
ALt+left click Heavy attack
Right click Secondary
1-5 skills

WASD moves your charactere
Space chakra charge
Shift guards/ substitution
Q/E cycles secondaries
This is looking really impressive. I would imagine overlays would be a pain in the butt but you guys seem to be managing just fine. Keep it up!
US? HOW ABOUT YOU!! coding and making the art for the game but still have enough time to do your own overlay, you sir are a beast!
I'm turnt.
i really like how the close combat is looking so far.
My main suggestion though will be to implement abilities that alter the movement of the character.
For example moves like 'Dynamic Entry'. It will make the combat even more appealing :)
In response to Chad clarke
Chad clarke wrote:
i really like how the close combat is looking so far.
My main suggestion though will be to implement abilities that alter the movement of the character.
For example moves like 'Dynamic Entry'. It will make the combat even more appealing :)

That is definitely on the to do list