* -Public domain; Open for public use so long as credit is given to the original designer.
- Freesound is an excellent website to find free ambiance tracks or sound effects for just about anything you could need. Unfortunately there isn't much of a variety of musical pieces but Freesound is still one of the best options for getting public domain sound effects!
- Jewelbeat is my go-to website for professional musical tracks ranging from classical, to metal and everything in between. They're not free, but all of the audio tracks they have are only 99 cents which is an incredible deal for such professional 2:00 - 5:00 minute tracks! Definitely a tier one site for audio assets!
Partners In Rhyme (click)
- While far from the best and with a limited catalog, Partners in Rhyme has a handful of great sound effects that would work great in most BYOND games!
- SFXR is a program that easily generates sounds that the user can easily reject or accept and alter to fit their needs! *contrib. by LordAndrew.
- Although not much of a program for making sounds, it's probably the best free program for editing sounds and audio files. Between fixing clipping, changing pitch, panning or even just changing the audio format, Audacity is your best bet for editing. Definitely a personal favorite!
- BFXR is like an improved version of SFXR(see above) that generates sounds based on the input parameters! Don't want to download anything? No problem! There is a browser-based version of the program embedded on the homepage! *contrib. by FIREking.
- A great website full of tracks that you can search through with a clever search system that you can select the atmosphere, setting, and intended use of the music. Did I mention it's all free?
- Another great website with a variety of original music and aesthetic tracks that are all categorized by genre. All tracks are free to use so long as proper credit is given to the creator; Eric Matyas.
- This sleek website is a source of free, Creative Commons-licensed audio that gets updated weekly with new content! *contrib. by Flick
Individual Tracks -
If you're a sound artist with a few tracks or sound effects that are just collecting dust, upload them and share them below to get listed here (with credit of course!)!