ID:2047822

Man, I was reading through Tobba's posts (don't judge me) and ran into Silk Wizard's comment and thought it was worth sharing for anyone who stumbles upon this and wanted alittle motivation.

"I think that BYOND is great. The problem with BYOND isn't the software,
the problem is that most people want all of the rewards of making a game without actually putting in the work. There are no shortcuts in life, and developing an independent game is no exception." - Silk Wizard
HO HO HO
He's wrong.

There are shortcuts in life. There just aren't any shortcuts to any place worth going.

GOT EEEEM!
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
He's wrong.

There are shortcuts in life. There just aren't any shortcuts to any place worth going.

GOT EEEEM!

Probably inadvertently the most inspirational thing you've ever said, Empirez. Lol.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:

Counterexample: Being born rich.
In response to Popisfizzy
I wouldn't consider that a counter example since not everyone would prefer being born with a silver spoon in their mouth. It's something many think is the life when it's actually a case of "the grass is greener".
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
It's something many think is the life when it's actually a case of "the grass is greener".

But their grass is probably greener too :(
In response to Ishuri
Nicely put! I'm proud of you, ET :'). I guess there IS actually some wisdom behind the trolling frog.
In response to FKI
It's not a question of whether it's the life or not, but it certainly is a shortcut to a great many things. When you have means, money, and a safety net all your goals are probably about 80% closer to being realized.
Popisfizzy wrote:
It's not a question of whether it's the life or not, but it certainly is a shortcut to a great many things. When you have means, money, and a safety net all your goals are probably about 80% closer to being realized.

Maybe true in regards to goals materialistic in nature.

Still wouldn't consider that a counter example though. Not everyone would consider "being born rich" to be of significance, let alone a shortcut worth taking.

I didn't exactly grow up rich by any means, and even now the struggle is still real. But I would always choose this life over the shortcut that is the silver spoon. Sure I could use the money, but I'm also just fine without it. Only because money was tight did I learn to appreciate it and live with or without it.
Yeah, I'd say it's only a counterexample for materialistic people who love to buy a bunch of stuff they don't need.
Popisfizzy wrote:

There's a huge writeup somewhere, can't for the life of me remember where it is, that evaluates the whole 'money doesn't mean happiness' thing. The jist of it comes down to, you can party more, making immediate short term happiness happen, but overall it doesn't make any difference whatsoever in terms of goals or whatever. People with money have higher goals than people without, and it stays about equal all the way down the wealth line. Money doesn't make a damn bit of difference, it's just a conduit for democracy.
FKI wrote:
Maybe true in regards to goals materialistic in nature.

I would not stop it there. Someone who has wealth gets a lot of things they can probably take for granted that people of lesser means can not. Better access to quality schools—both early and later in life; better access to medicine, nutrition, healthcare in general; easier access to things like tutors and materials both for schooling and for hobbies (music, art, athletics, etc.) that would be difficult or out-of-reach for those with less many; etc. There's a reason people from a wealthy background are stereotyped as going to expensive universities while kids from the slums and the ghettos are expected to go to community colleges at best.

Rushnut wrote:
People with money have higher goals than people without

Or, people with more money have goals that people with less money consider dreams. There are without a doubt lots of people who have dreams of, say, going to an Ivy League school, or running a successful business (either large scale like a major corporation, or small scale like a restaurant), or being a movie star or professional athlete or what have you. The difference is that the poor person would be considered lucky to have those things in reach, while the wealthier person can take them for granted.
Not all of that stuff matters to some. By the same token, not all of that stuff has to do with being born rich or money at all.

In short, I feel as if you missed the point entirely.
i think he needs to watch the pokemans movie cos clearly he aint seen it

this is also a great video for people who wish they could've had godlike control over their life

In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
Not all of that stuff matters to some.

This is indeed true, but it doesn't change the fact that to those that it does matter, a wealthy background helps considerable.

By the same token, not all of that stuff has to do with being born rich or money at all.

This is also true, but if you have money you can often get a head start, or catch up from behind more readily.

In short, I feel as if you missed the point entirely.

I think we're making different points completely, and keep thinking the other person is missing our mark tbh.
Well everything goes back to this:

EmpirezTeam said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying -- that money makes this life easier. My point is, that is where it stops: making things easy.

While money can make things easier, it won't fulfill a person's thirst for happiness. As such, being born rich is not a shortcut worth taking for some of us. Sure, it'd be easier, but sometimes the road less traveled yields far more than the alternative, however more difficult it may be.
In response to FKI
And this is the crux of where we are making different points. I think the fact that it's easier is the shortcut, as it makes ones goals that much closer. I have no regards to someone's happiness or what have you, nor do I think completing your goals in life has any relationship to your happiness in life. If your goal is to be happy, then having money might be less relevant (though not being stressed out as much will certainly help there), but most peoples goals are more materialistic, or at the very least more quantifiable/measurable.
I don't entirely agree, but we can definitely agree to disagree.