ID:2049931

what exactly is so great about space station 13? like i keep hearing all about it but i don't get whats so good bout it. can someone explain?
Oh boy... This thread.

SS13's pretty fun because of the random chaos that the game allows. Every round is different and there's an imperial metric buttload of content in the game to fiddle with.

Even back before there was a windfall of content in the game, it was still fun because of all the antics the system allowed you to get into.

Also autism spectrum. The game definitely touches the autism nerve in that uncle your parents warned you about kind of way. Which can be quite attractive to many. See the success of Rust, Grav, and that one game where you collect dinosaur poop and pretend it's not rust.
can you give some cool experiences or examples of the random chaos?
Well, over a decade ago SS13 was a totally different game, but I can give you a few highlights of some of my best moments.

I was playing a round of traitor and was head of security.

I ran across a few shoeless nutjobs running around tearing apart walls. Told them to stop and identify themselves and they ran. I tased two of the three and made a report about the third one over the intercom. I took the two shoesless griefers into the brig for interrogation. One of them had logged out, and the other one was screaming about unjust treatment.

So I locked him up and left him in the containment cells and went looking for the third one.

Suddenly I enter a corridor that has no air. I grab the nearest O2 tank and put it on. Its been laced with NO2 at just the right proportion to knock me unconscious but alive and keep me there. I wake up a few minutes later shut into a locker. I open the locker. It hasn't been welded shut.

That's when I see the bombs. I'm in a room that's completely littered with bombs rigged up to motion detectors and trip lasers.

One wrong move and the bombs will go off.

I've been left a radio and a backpack containing a syringe of toxin. My ID card has been stolen and all of my clothes and my taser are gone.

Someone on the radio is talking about unjust security and trying to incite an uprising. They are explaining that they have unlocked all the lockers in security and detained all the members of security. They are claiming that they have covered the place in bombs and will detonate them if their demands aren't met.

Meanwhile, the station is in chaos. Half the players have grabbed the tasers and weapons that this player has unlocked and are now wreaking havoc on the station. The traitor is demanding that the captain surrender the ship to the terrorists or he will begin executing members of security one by one. He also wants the shuttle to be called.

Suddenly bombs go off. The crew is screaming that the shuttle bay has been completely cut off from the station. More screaming over radio, a spacesuit has gone missing and someone's broken into the captain's quarters. The revolver is in play.

The captain is refusing to listen to the terrorist's demands. The terrorist claims to have executed a member of security. More screaming. Apparently another member of security has been blown up by his bomb-room. Apparently the bombs in my room are on remote. There's nothing I can do. I'm going to die. Might as well watch this play out.

After a few more minutes of the station being torn apart by griefers, someone comes on radio and says they have the captain, and will trade him for the revolver.

The terrorists demand the captain be brought to them. I don't know exactly what happens at this point, but I'm pretty sure both the captain and the player that took him to the terrorists are executed with the revolver.

One of the bombs in my room goes off. It's tiny and only takes out one tile. But it is enough to drain the air from the room and suffocate me. All the other bombs were duds.

At the end of the round while he's waiting on the shuttle, the traitor explains everything that just happened. He freed the two griefers from the brig and they helped him. He told one of them to claim that bombs had gone off and killed the other security guard. The traitor was the other security guard.

He'd found another griefer who had already stolen the revolver making bombs and decided to let him finish before tazing him, strangling him to death and throwing him into a closet. He then set the bomb off to separate the shuttle bay, and then made false demands while the station tore itself apart in order to get the captain to call the shuttle.

Meanwhile, he was just waiting to set off the bomb that would execute me while the distraction was going on.

It was brilliantly played and probably the coolest oldstation13 game I've ever played.
I had a really cool experience with pre-open-source SS13 as well, also during a traitor round (who are we kidding? It's the only fun way to play), I was the traitor this time around but assigned as a lowly scientist, so I quietly play my role for a while, gradually earning the trust of one of the guys working in security down the hall.

We're kicking back in atmospherics, I'm teaching him about the gases and what they do, I tell him to put on some oxygen so I can show off some gas effects without him suffocating, he does, and like any good traitor I made sure it would knock him out, but like a poor atmospherics scientist, I screwed up the gas ratios and he died.

Before he did though, he managed to cough my name across the radio and the rest of security quickly showed up and took me down before I had much chance to react, I was cuffed and locked in security pending transport to the prison station -- I had taken the perk that allows the traitor to uncuff themselves when they chuckle, I had to be careful not to let the cat out of the bag at the wrong time or I'd be screwed.

So I sat in the cell, waiting, finally they get the prison shuttle docked and send two security officers to pick me up, I let them walk me into the hall before slipping my cuffs and stabbing one security officer to death with them before the other even realizes what happened, taser taken and used on the other guy.

Drag the dead guy into a locker to hide him, muzzle and restrain the living guy, take his ID swap his stuff out with mine, take HIM to the prison shuttle saying "he bit the other guy, so he's getting it looked at in medbay, had to muzzle this traitor".

Load him onto the shuttle and they send him away, I figure I have a few minutes before the remove the muzzle and realize what's happened, so I have to move quick. I have the captain meet with me to discuss the prisoner, in the middle of the conversation I stab him in the neck with toxins and let him cook to death from the inside out, steal his stuff, grab a space suit, wander over to engineering, kill the engineers, build a nice large bomb and leave it surrounded by plasma in the engine before taking the space route to central command...

The rounded ended with the message from the prison "warning, security compromised!" as I detonated the bomb and entered CC to win the round.

I've also had rounds where I was the traitor that literally lasted eight hours and never got dull because I decided to be very subtle about my actions, quietly messing up systems, facilitating random fires and explosions, until eventually I got caught and stuffed in prison where I sweet-talked the female warden into letting me out of my cell to eat before promptly beating her to death with a tray.
I would do things I wouldn't be proud of just to read more of these.
SS13 is pretty boring actually. Horriblue HUD, horrible design. Brilliant environmental simulation for its time. People like SS13 because they like mandatory chatrooms - because they're stupid.
Truly great games develop emergent stories. That's what makes SS13 so special. Ter's and Nadrew's stories are just two of them. I'm sure regular SS13 players could tell us many others.
Mastergamerxxx wrote:
what exactly is so great about space station 13? like i keep hearing all about it but i don't get whats so good bout it. can someone explain?

To me the thing about SS13 is it's a game where words are one of your most powerful weapons. You can win by lying. Everything that happens is player driven in a very intricate world. There's never the same round twice.

That and hundreds of people have worked on it, adding little bits here and there, it's a really interesting project.
In response to MagicMountain
MagicMountain wrote:
Mastergamerxxx wrote:

To me the thing about politics is it's a game where words are one of your most powerful weapons. You can win by lying. Everything that happens is player driven in a very intricate world. There's never the same round twice.

Oh well that explains everything. Politicians get paid to lie so people that want to be politicians like SS13. Kul.