ID:2055572

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
Whenever I try to enter into a game, it says, "Guest Accounts Not allowed" and then I'm kicked out. When I check the byond client, I'm logged in.
Restart the pager. For w/e reason the pager can't seem to hold a stable connection for longer than a few hours ever since it was redone.
In response to Kumorii
The method the pager uses to talk to Dream Seeker hasn't changed at all, so the new pager really has nothing to do with it.

If DS can't talk to the pager, the problem is almost certainly that some other software on the system is blocking communication between them.
Yeah, I've had my pager logged in for months at a time without incident.
In response to Lummox JR
I've had this problem ever since the new pager came out. I figured it didn't happen for everybody so I just chalked it up to my poor internet connection. What kind of things would I check for that could be interfering?
In response to Kumorii
Best response
In your case I just don't know; it's not a stable connection, just a port that the pager opens and DS can talk to it when it needs to. The port info is set in cfg/pager.txt and that's where DS finds out how to contact the pager.
to explain this further, what happens is the pager opens up a server socket for network connects, but for within the same computer only, (think an office extension network, for inner office phone calls) None of this depends on the outer internet connection, because it is totally self contained.

What could happen, is a shitty hosts file, paste to us here whats in the file at c:\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

or a firewall/antivirus software is "protecting" this internal same computer only network and doesn't like something it's seeing from byond, thinks it's suspicious.

Another cause can be that when the internet connection is getting reset, somehow the internal network pseudo-interface is also getting reset, closing active connections, that points to some vpn software or maybe wifi/mobile broadband software being odd.
i noticed this as well, if i leave my pager on for a couple of days i have to login and out for my feed to update

sometimes my feed completely disappears and its just blank
I'm having this issue myself. If I disable guest login in preferences, dream seeker opens in the background with no CPU or anything. Not sure what's blocking it. It's not even really starting, I mean, it's clearly trying but it's like it can't.

If I turn the guest login if pager isn't running back on in preferrences, I connect fine, but it connects me as a guest.
Check netstat -a to see if the pager even has a port open. If it does, it should match what's in cfg/pager.txt in the "proxy" line.
I am not familiar with netstat but I'll get to looking that up.

Alright, found it.
TCP port, it's marked as "listening". if you want I can give the exact port number but not sure if that's needed. but it's definitely here.

edit addon: On additional notes, I am on windows 10, I do not have avast I use AVG, and the whole BYOND install folder is in it's exceptions.
Oh gads, AVG? AVG has been utter garbage since around 2009. I absolutely would not rule it out as a culprit.
Well, a couple of tests later, absolutely no problems with AVG and BYOND in the past on different pcs(Currently on a temporary loaned laptop), I believe I can.

I've completely disabled AVG temporarily and attempted to connect through the pager. It still opens a Dream Seeker tab in the background with no cpu or anything going to it, making it unable to start. I have added dream seeker to windows firewall on it's own, and it has not helped.

I have attempted to connect to a game via the webclient, and I was able to log in just fine with my proper account and not as a guest, but upon trying the same game and server through the pager it didn't work.

So I believe it comes back to a problem presented earlier in the thread, that something is stopping Dream Seeker and the pager from reaching one another. ..or Dream Seeker's being forced to hang-up by something. Not sure what would be causing either.
Just a total guess.... Does skype work?
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
Just a total guess.... Does skype work?

Yes. Yes it does. been talking with a friend on this same topic on and off all day, a bit before I brought it up here for help with people more savy, even.

Well, I believe I've found the root of the problem. Internet Explorer. I can't find any traces of it on this computer, I've tried to get it to come back, but I'm having no real luck. Dream Seeker is of course deeply rooted in IE, so if that's not here, of course it's not going to work properly and be able to communicate with the pager.
nevermind