ID:2056362

I've recently stumbled upon a private server that hosts the vanilla version of WoW for free. There is a average of 10k people usually on. The devs are looking to add the expansions as time goes by. I've been playing it and it's been very nostalgic, if you're interested you can download the client here.

https://en.nostalrius.org/
Yeah it is pretty fun. And the latency is better than I would have expected with playing in a French server. Usually at about 180 MS here on the west coast US.

I have like 4 characters at around level 20 on the PVE server. Haven't played much the last couple months though because while the experience is pretty nostalgic, the whole free server thing really does entice quite a few chodes into playing. Can kind of grate on the nerves.
I actually had a character on there-- a level 30-ish human warrior. It definitely is the most vanilla-like of any private server; very professional staff. However, I just can't seem to get too invested in a server that's based off of 10 year old design-- I ran into the same issues playing nostalgia shards on Ultima Online as well.
Doesn't Blizzard go after these private servers like crazy? I imagine they could make a pretty good claim of either copyright infringement or some sort of licensing issue, given their business model.
I honestly just cannot understand why someone would want to play vanilla WoW.

There weren't any Pandas back then, dude. What's the point?
In response to Popisfizzy
Server based in France so to my knowledge they aren't able to do any US Law against them.
In response to Azurift
Toss me that account :D
In response to EmpirezTeam
They're gonna add the expansions :)
In response to Edit Nero
Edit Nero wrote:
Server based in France so to my knowledge they aren't able to do any US Law against them.

I mean, it's not like copyright is defined by a set of international treaties or anything.
tell that to kit dotcom.

Ah, figured as such.
In response to Edit Nero
... I don't know why I was so hostile in response to you there. I must have been having a bad day or something, so sorry about that.
Popisfizzy wrote:
... I don't know why I was so hostile in response to you there. I must have been having a bad day or something, so sorry about that.

i cri evirtim
It's all good, no hard feelings. (:
So, just saw this on the front page of reddit, 'cause apparently /r/wow is incensed by the news: Nostalrius is getting sued by Blizzard for copyright infringement. No surprise there.
ofc they are shutting it down. they didnt put all that work into MoP just so you guys can run and go play your panda-less WoW servers.

you WILL play with pandas whether you like it or not, damnit