EPOCH

by Yut Put
A hard-core marriage between Zelda, Dark Souls, and the original Epic.
ID:2057216

I'm going to try to get this game on Steam. I'm terrified, but the first step is turning it from a BYOND game into it's own standalone EXE

Test out the demo and tell me if it works!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8858375/Epoch.exe
First issue: When starting the game fresh, the text is "End game", not "New Game".
That's not an issue, it's intentional and has always been that way

The game is an artistic message about trying to end a franchise or series of games
nothing happens when i run the exe on my laptop
The game is an artistic message about trying to end a franchise or series of games

Taking the gloves off. Usually I'm with you on a lot of what you do. But... Yeah. Nope.

Alright. Cool. You are fucking retarded. That's all I needed to hear. I'm out.

That sentence is exactly how you wind up being an internet laughingstock the second you go public.
lol, it's kind of been that way since the beginning, but I'll remove that bit from the game's description for now.
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
nothing happens when i run the exe on my laptop

I don't think BYONDexe works on 64 bit, or something like that
In response to Zagros5000
It just takes forever to load.

Bugs
  • The map-entering message that reads "Warden's Keep" in the beginning never disappears (even after I died).

I'll edit this post with more as I go further.
unless i need a good internet connection i highly doubt it, i pressed run about 50mins ago
Is the Warden's Keep message staying on the screen in black, or white?

It's using appearance_flags and there might be a BYOND bug here. I kind of had to plug in the beta version of BYOND instead of what the current BYONDexe version is in order to get this to work, and I hope that the game isn't using my computer's version as opposed to the version the exe provides

Seriously, change the intro UI to say "New Game". If your interface lies to the player, it needs to be for a purpose more than just fitting some thematic element you've hamfisted into a game that otherwise poorly represents the theme that you are trying to put across with what the game means to you. Ultimately, with your first commercial project, people aren't buying into you. They are buying into the experience you have created for them. The more you make it about you, the more you are undercutting both the consumer and the potential of the project you are attempting to give life.

Your players aren't going to see what the game means to you. They are going to get their own experience out of it. Telling them what the game represents or means robs them of the ability to form their own relationship with the product and also will get you accused of being a pompous, self-absorbed delusional "artist" that likes the smell of his own farts.

I told you this maybe two years ago: Hire someone to do your promotion. We both like unveiled criticism. Don't let the fact that this is brutally honest affect your judgement on its value.
Nah, I see what you mean, it's just a title screen so I guess I could change it. Most of the people who have played so far have either liked/not cared about the fact that the title screen message is what it is, but if you think it's an issue I'll change it
The internet is a terrible place. Just looking out for you BBY. <3
Second issue: Those essences not being visible per-client using images is going to be a problem. Most players aren't going to understand the technical reasons why they still appear.

You might consider doing the particles and animations using Flick's particons, that way you have the ability to hide them per-client based on which ones the user has already collected using a single override image.

Lummox made a change to the way that maptext is processed. This means that you need to make a small appearance flag adjustment to your tooltips to prevent the overlays from inheriting the root item's color.
got it, fixed
welp, the journey begins. Time to sponge up an unimaginably toxic amount of hate from anyone who discovers this is made with byond

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ filedetails/?id=650423290
Time to sponge up an unimaginably toxic amount of hate from anyone who discovers this is made with byond

Don't worry, just remember that 3/4ths of it is going to come from 3 people shilling on multiple accounts from this community and your best bet is to not respond to anything that isn't directly a question phrased as a question. If it is criticism, don't try to explain how they are wrong. Just leave it alone, cut yourself, listen to 80s music, and cry into your bottle of wine.

Don't defend your product, just acknowledge criticism where it is valid, or ask questions about what you can do to improve the overall experience for that specific player's tastes, thank them for their time and move on. Try to set a budget for comments you can respond to that aren't genuine questions. 3-4 per day at most.

I've watched a lot of greenlight projects implode when their developer fails to realize that the product needs to stand on its own two feet and get out into the world. When the developer keeps treating it like their baby and not a product in its own right, that's where implosion happens.

Just think of it as sending your babby out into the world and watching it get bullied, shit on, beat up, and knocked down a lot. He'll get back up. Or you know, eaten by wolves and you'll have to replace him with a new babby. Either way, you shouldn't try to protect him.
Unfortunately, I get nothing but a waiting mouse cursor when trying to run this... Not sure why. I'll see what I can figure out tonight.
Page: 1 2