Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2057619

Hey there, before I get into this week's dev log I'd just like to send a big 'thank you' to everyone whose been giving us feedback on the game. Also want to send a thank you to those of you who've been keeping up with our dev logs up to this point. It's because of you guys that we're able to do these consistently.I also want to thank MrStonedOne for his lag prevention method, that of which we've been able to gain significant improvements in the game's performance.

Any who, this week has been a fairly productive one. With the highly anticipated release of 510, more specifically planes and now the big icon fixes(Lummox jr you're a god!), we've started to explore a different means of crafting the world. For the most part these led us to investigate hand drawn maps vs tiled maps.

Our first experience with this was shown in last weeks dev log; the parallax background which are entirely drawn, pixel by pixel. Now we're hoping to try doing the exact same thing with the rest of the world. It's pretty obvious at this point that we're trying to achieve a very unique look for the game.
Here's a really early iteration of the dark forest area-where 90% of our tutorial is planned to take place.

Here's another example of a different area;

We've also made progress towards our tutorial in general Here's some shots that hopefully doesn't spoil too much...

Here's a video!

Here's a look into how one of the battles are going to play early on.

In other areas of development we've commissioned a composer to help create the game's soundtrack! Here's what we've gotten so far.
http://puu.sh/nQyk4/d18d53691a.wav
http://puu.sh/nQyq8/75e0cf451c.wav

Here's a link to his soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/seventh-beast/

We post daily updates to our social media sites. If you like what you're seeing please don't hesitate to drop by!

You guys are doing glob's work.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
You guys are doing glob's work.

Thanks! Glob never rests I suppose.
So, guys, which method of mapping is more efficient for you? hand drawn or tiled? oh, and great work! the game's coming up nicely :D
This looks pretty amazing so far, nice job!
It's alittle too early to say which is more efficient since we don't have a lot of areas drawn up at this point. BUT! Our previous method which was using tiles made loading new zones problematic since they had a tendency to lock up the game as the assets are loaded for the first time. We had a partial workaround for this by having the game load assets one at a time at loading instead of all at once.

When it comes to hand drawn maps however, there are larger assets in terms of size but fewer of them on the map. So we're hoping we might see an increase in the game's performance.
Is that last picture the web-client?

Good stuff though. I do hope those performance gains made a difference. The game was hardly playable last time I tried (I had to wait for the server to die before I could move around).
Dream seeker. We haven't made any significant ventures into the web client yet. Yeah sorry about that We've never had a test with that many players before.

This also resolved the stuttering problems we were facing.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2057211
In response to Pixelcomet
This was prior to the map chunks implementation (a little over a month ago, maybe?); I understand though. Looking forward to seeing how it runs now.
So jealous... Beautiful beautiful beautiful!
Are you sure this is a Byond game? Looks pretty professional to me! You seem to have some pretty talented people working on this.

Hope the game itself will be as addicting as the devlogs.
Amazing work guys, will we be able to visit that area again after the tutorial? It looks far too good
amazing job bro, is Beautiful
Love the fact combat has impact. Not just throwing attacks at someone while they smash buttons back at you

Byond's Gangsta

Where can I find more info about hand drawing maps..?
In response to Anime HQ
You draw the map by hand on a editing software like Photoshop. Save the picture/map, go to DM, set an object's icon to the map you just made and ta-da......