ID:2058144

For some reason the byond:// protocol isn't working in Chrome. Fresh install does not change anything, and I do not see the protocol in the list on Windows 10.

Anyone know how I can correct this?
What does your registry look like under HKLM\Software\Classes\byond? That should have been written by the installer.
Looks like it's properly installed as far as I can tell. Odd.

Is there anything you can find in the registry for those other protocols that might point out something that Windows 10 needs?
It works on Firefox, but doesn't work on IE, Chrome, or Edge. =|

I have UAC enabled still, but I did install as Admin as well to ensure it had the elevated privileges it needed.

EDIT: I looked at mailto just to see if anything is different and this is what I saw.

EDIT2: I can't make sense of any of it. I don't know much about the registry.
Hmm. It looks like we should be installing in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT rather than HKLM\Software\Classes, so I wonder if that's the problem. Maybe because the class info wasn't duplicated in HKCU\Software\Classes, IE and Chrome aren't seeing it. Try exporting that tree (just the byond branch) and changing the .reg file in Notepad to replace HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and then run the file to import it.
That didn't do it either. =/

Should I try adding it to HKCR?

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\byond]

EDIT: That didn't work either.
Hrm, it was a long shot. There has to be something else in play here. Microsoft's page on creating custom URL protocol handlers basically says what you have is correct.
Hmm, if anyone else running windows 10 has an issue, please post here. Also, if you're running windows 10 and do not have an issue, please post here as well.

If you don't have an issue, could you please let us know if the protocol shows up under Settings->Default Apps->Choose default apps by protocol. A screenshot of your registry key would be nice too.

Idk how else to move forward on figuring out this issue. It's very weird.
I had the issue and fixed it by finding where steam was handling its protocol and duplicating that for BYOND, rebooted and it seemed to work. Was a few weeks back though so I can't remember exactly the process off hand, I'll look at it when I'm at the computer later on and post more details.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
I had the issue and fixed it by finding where steam was handling its protocol and duplicating that for BYOND, rebooted and it seemed to work. Was a few weeks back though so I can't remember exactly the process off hand, I'll look at it when I'm at the computer later on and post more details.

Thanks, Nadrew!

Was the reboot required? I never rebooted after tweaking the registry.

I'll look into it later as my girlfriend wants to spend time with me tonight watching movies.

I'll reply with details after I've made Nadrews suggested changes.

EDIT: The only difference I saw with Steam was the shell command url was in quotes. Changing that did nothing. Unless I need to reboot or something.
So, I had just built a computer not long ago and was using an illegitimate version of windows. When I purchased Windows 10, I did a fresh clean install. This is still a problem. It's quite annoying being unable to join from clicking on the hub.

Do you have any insight on this yet?
Nope. This has been working for everyone else.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Nope. This has been working for everyone else.

I've had this problem since as long as I can remember. Not a huge problem though.
Well, obviously something isn't right. When there is something wrong there is usually a solution. I figured one of you more experienced guys would have an idea. Something doesn't just simply not work for no reason at all. :/
I found something here that blames Kaspersky. What security software are you using?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I found something here that blames Kaspersky. What security software are you using?

I'm only using Windows Defender at the moment. I only have the basics installed.

Even uTorrents protocols work... I'll take a peek at the registry again but everything looked fine. I just don't understand.
Google is coming up really dry on this. As far as I can tell, the fact that this is in the registry really ought to be enough.
Yeah, I have no idea. Might have to wait it out... Easy to work around, just really annoying is all. :P
Add the registry entry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\byond\UserChoice

And add a "REG_SZ" key called "ProgId" with the value "byond"

Reboot.

Worked for me.
Page: 1 2