In response to Ganite
also the fact that it doesn't work shows WONDERS for backwards compatibility!

the fact that you don't care about usability or backwards compatibility is very telling regarding both your empathy towards new users and your intelligence.
In response to Ganite
Also notice how everyone else was able to tell me how to fix it!!
In response to RinaChan
doesnt work because it was made in 2000.. The software has been updated plenty in those 16 years...

pop did not tell you how to fix it.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
im the bad guy cause I said it doesn't work fuck outa here. im done for i get to fuckin shit up

You're the bad guy because you insulted an new user and then denied the validity of their experience, when it could have been very much a learning situation so BYOND doesn't immediately push away a new user by being confusing and obtuse.
Sorry you had such a bad experience with that file. It's been some time since I looked at that. If the problem is that AUTO_FILE_DIR isn't on (you can turn that on in Build | Preferences), then that's something I can probably fix. Some changes were made fairly recently regarding AUTO_FILE_DIR behavior, and I think it's possible that this was fallout from it. It should be straightforward enough for me to deal with soon, by just altering the zip package.

You make a very good point that the file needs to be fixed, so I'll put that on my list. Although the developer page is community-driven, that's a core tutorial and is meant to work right out of the box, so the fact that it's not working is absolutely worth my time to take care of.

Also, I'm really sorry about the reception. Like all communities you'll see good and bad, and sometimes people get into heated arguments too quickly that they didn't necessarily mean to. I hope you choose to stick around and see what the engine can do.
In response to Popisfizzy
Yea cause my first 2 post where insulting.
yeah but there's this thing called "backwards compatibility" that is very important if you're gonna make a game engine m8, ESPECIALLY if it's the VERY FIRST FILE THAT IS VISIBLE TO NEW USERS. how much more do I need to simplify this for you

also get fucked if yr gonna hang on details like that
and now that lummox has said his words I am 50% wrong.
In response to Ganite
100% actually but *shrug emoji*
In response to Lummox JR
thank you so much for your clear, concise and non-insulting reply as well.

this is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you!
Oh man, it's really really unfortunate that this was broken.

Unfortunately, the engine has in some ways outgrown our collection of resources.

Those of us that have the best grasp on the engine and the best skills to provide resources for the engine have been unfortunately nascent in our duties the last five years or so, so you'll have to forgive us that.

What I will say, though, is that the engine is fairly simple to pick up compared to most of the packages out there if you are willing to forgive a few hiccups along the way.

In the coming few months I'm planning to compile nearly everything I've learned about the language into a structured tutorial track to try and replace some of our rather outdated resources.

I've been here pretty much since the beginning, and I've learned the ins and outs of numerous engines. DM is a highly limited environment, I'll gladly admit, but it is easy to pick up and teaches you skills that will transfer to other environments. It does have its drawbacks, but Lummox has been making an amazing effort to help the language overcome its flaws in the last two years in particular.

If you run into trouble, this thread should not be taken as an example of what we generally want to see in Developer Help. BYOND's community can be... Well, frankly somewhat er... Reactionary. If you run into more issues (god forbid) or simply have theory questions or are seeking good resources to get you started on the long journey, pop another thread up in this subforum and I'll keep an eye out for you.

The backward compatability subject, though is a tough one. BYOND was developed with some assumptions that just don't apply to modern computing, so some breaking changes have been making their way into the language bit by bit. It's damned hard to convince Lummox when it's time to do it, but it's almost always for good reason (or complete accident.)

So yeah, cheers. Sorry your first thread/tutorial wasn't a smooth experience, but it wouldn't be programming if it didn't make your life suck a bit.
A developer website with poorly maintained developer resources? If only a community member, perhaps it could have even been me, had suggested that we not only update the developer resources, but allow for the sale of developer resources through the site. Curious, curious.

If you do want a well-documented and high developer community support, I suggest you check out Unity. Not only will it be easier, the power of the engine is higher, and it has more power to get onto Steam should you wish to market your product.
This thread went from 0 to 100 real quick.
I should note that just about every problem one is having with the BYOND engine will appear in every other game development engine. Until you set it the way you needit set, the thing is going to run on its own default behavior. No game engine on the planet will ever come set perfectly for you off the bat.

I should also note that the BYOND guide is well out of date, written with BYOND 2 in mind and with BYOND 3 changes made in addendum here and there. Many things have changed since then, and with the addition of a webclient and being in BYOND 5 currently, lots of older code might be broken by newer versions of BYOND. Again, this is nothing new, either. Some times, for the sake of security or functionality, some things are forcefully deprecated and no longer recognized by the compiler. This is just a fact of life in software programming in general.

Now then, put your pink sombrero on and get to some Cowboy Coding!

Rina is a female, she'd be a cowgirl, not a cowboy.

With that being said, I look forward to seeing more snappy remarks from Rina-chan in the near future... she is highly entertaining indeed.

In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Rina is a female, she'd be a cowgirl, not a cowboy.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ there-are-no-girls-on-the-internet

In response to Khyberkitsune
www.niceme.me
In response to EmpirezTeam
I'm glad that my meltdowns can provide some entertainment to your neurocasual ass
In response to Khyberkitsune
Khyberkitsune wrote:
I should note that just about every problem one is having with the BYOND engine will appear in every other game development engine. Until you set it the way you needit set, the thing is going to run on its own default behavior. No game engine on the planet will ever come set perfectly for you off the bat.

I should also note that the BYOND guide is well out of date, written with BYOND 2 in mind and with BYOND 3 changes made in addendum here and there. Many things have changed since then, and with the addition of a webclient and being in BYOND 5 currently, lots of older code might be broken by newer versions of BYOND. Again, this is nothing new, either. Some times, for the sake of security or functionality, some things are forcefully deprecated and no longer recognized by the compiler. This is just a fact of life in software programming in general.

Now then, put your pink sombrero on and get to some Cowboy Coding!

Uhhh, no. The way BYOND is designed makes it inherently slow. Plus it has poorly managed resources AND there's too much site dependence. A game engine should be able to be independent of the design site but all of this key shenanigans makes it a hassle. When will we get client sided processing? Unity offers so much that BYOND does not.

Page: 1 2