ID:2059193

Easter weekend is upon us: a major religious holiday for some of us, and for many a break from school. Time to let loose your creativity and make a game, or just sit back and play someone else's game.

It's been another busy bug-hunting week here, with a few more new 510 releases. I wasn't kidding when I said fixing the big-icon thing was non-trivial! A few of this week's fixes caused regressions in the webclient, so that got some love alongside other fixes in today's 510.1334 release. Are we finally nearing the point where I can close 510 with a stable build?

If the worst is behind us on the software front, I may turn to some overdue stuff on the site end, partly for the webclient but also for games that want to go ad-free. It's about time I got back to working on a setup to pre-pay ads, so that developers who want to give their players a more seamless experience can do so whether they're BYOND Members or not.

Concepts for version 511 are still in the percolation phase. 510 was such a massive leap forward in capability that the next major version might be more subdued, but I'm still thinking about some big-picture visual stuff like filters. Suggestions are highly encouraged, especially where it comes to possibly coming up with syntax for this sort of thing.

I'd also like to continue down the road I started on for optimization, with more possible improvements ahead for things like var access--a potentially huge boon to games that do a lot of processing in the background. Optimization is one of my passions, and I think there are still places I can find to eke out improvements.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Interesting in terms of filters. Could try something like a flag approach or a mathematical approach to add or remove filter objects to a filter variable.

You probably already thought of those ideas before I did.
I'd say 510 should definitely be the stable build unless other nasty bugs are discovered soon. The differences between 509 and 510 are radical, specially so on the webclient. I think it's time to focus on the webclient a little bit more and an ad-free experience(paid by developers, of course). Since you still don't have 511 entirely planned out, I think it's a good time to focus on things like custom splash screens, bypassing BYOND's login screen on the webclient, full screen support for the webclient, optimizations and all that good stuff!
Yut Put wrote:
the ability to turn transforms into trapezoids would be amazing

That's impossible with linear or affine transformations in R2, as such transformations will map parallel lines to parallel lines. That would require linear or affine transformations in R3, which introduce a whole new layer of complexity. They can also be confusing to a novice, due to the non-commutativity of matrix multiplication. E.g., a yaw followed by a pitch is distinct from a pitch followed by a yaw.

Not that you'll see this because you have me blocked for whatever reason.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Yut Put wrote:
the ability to turn transforms into trapezoids would be amazing

[basically a lot of math stuff you see on wikipedia]

Not that you'll see this because you have me blocked for whatever reason.

In a nutshell it won't work out because matrices currently only support 2D coordinates. If the matrix supported three dimensions it would be possible.

Not that you'd see this either because I'm also blocked. lel.
In response to Mr_Goober
Lmfao I'm blocked too. Wtf
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
[basically a lot of math stuff you see on wikipedia]

:|

I mean, yes? Because it's all a pretty fundamental point of how linear transformations work. It basically comes directly from the definition of a linear function: F(ax + by) = a F(x) + b F(y) for scalars a, b and vectors x, y. They are "well-behaved".

To actually show what I said, it's just a matter of accepting that in parametric form, for a fixed "slope" vector x two parallel lines L0, L1 are given by L0 = {t x + p0 : t in R} and L1 = {t x + p1 : t in R} for not necessarily distinct points p0 and p1 (playing fast and loose with the distinction between a point and a vector) and looking at the image of L0 and L1 under F. This works in any vector space of any dimension.
Would it be possible to get something like client.transform, which would apply to the entire viewport, much like client.color. You thought about adding a way to handle the client's view bubble, but never did anything about it (Maybe I should bump the topic for you?), it'd be nice to be able to have easier large-scale transforms in unison.

Edit:
Well, so far the BYOND language has seen great additions and improvements, a while back the icon editor got shown some love, and now the website and webclient are about to get some love so... I'd say 511 should focus on the map editor.

It's probably too soon for what you mentioned about seamless z level connection, but the zoom feature thats thread keeps reviving oughtta be able to get some good hype and be pretty trivial compared to all the other workloads lately.
Yut Put wrote:
actually some kind of window or hotkey that replaces right click-> edit would speed up my workflow a lot. Having to constantly right click -> edit -> ok every single thing in my game takes a long time

Can you elaborate on that for me? I'm not sure I follow the process.
You'll probably have a better time just setting up a real-time mapper outside of DM.
Yut Put wrote:
Like how control+shift+click makes the thing your cursor is pointing at the active object, it would be really really nice to have a macro that opened up the edit panel for that object(for setting tags, pixel x, etc)

Hrm. Maybe sort of an action palette type of deal? We already have the add/fill/select choices, so maybe an insta-edit would be a logical possibility.
Yut Put said:
It would also be nice to have step-x and step_y be mouse-positioned if the user is holding the shift key when they click on the map with the add tool(this is something Falacy suggested years ago)

I'd be content with a working nudge feature. (There's always been this weird behavior where nudging one object would somehow nudge other objects of the same type, on the same map, out of place. I've been reduced to manually setting offsets because of this.)
an insta edit option would be so useful
In response to FKI
Nudge is meant to edit only the individual object, not its entire instance; it should be creating a brand new instance. If you can get me a project that shows this in action and tell me exactly which object to nudge in order to see it, that would be a huge help. Probably it should have a bug report.
In response to Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Nudge is meant to edit only the individual object, not its entire instance; it should be creating a brand new instance. If you can get me a project that shows this in action and tell me exactly which object to nudge in order to see it, that would be a huge help. Probably it should have a bug report.

Hm for as long as I can remember nudge always moved every instance of the object on the map.
It's never done that for me.
I'm definitely on board with less right clicking. I might be missing a hot key, but it would also be nice if deleting things when there are more than one in a tile were easier.

I'm sure this is partly on how I, and likely many utilize the map editor, but it can be a bit tiresome right clicking and hitting delete to remove one of two items. Especially if it's the top most item, since that would probably be the easiest one to hot key.
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:
I'm definitely on board with less right clicking. I might be missing a hot key, but it would also be nice if deleting things when there are more than one in a tile were easier.

I'm sure this is partly on how I, and likely many utilize the map editor, but it can be a bit tiresome right clicking and hitting delete to remove one of two items. Especially if it's the top most item, since that would probably be the easiest one to hot key.

Agreed.