ID:2059858

(See the best response by Kaiochao.)
Problem description:
Hi there. I'm trying to find a way to get a list of macros (key and the command the key corresponds to) code wise from the client.

I cannot hardcode it because people (myself included) would use custom skin files which would not match.

Preferably through client-side Javascript (less server load), however DM code is alright too.

Is this a game you're working on? If so, I wouldn't even go that far. I would just make your own macro-maker in-game and when players save their macro list export it to .xml or whatever. That way you can get a list of each individual player's macros and it helps for saving/loading so macros are saved on a player basis and not saved on BYOND's end (in case a player had to uninstall/reinstall BYOND the .xml could be saved server-side and client-side and in case a server crashes and the player wants to transfer the macro list to another server they could just import it).
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
People can already edit the macros manually by editing it in BYOND/skins/[...]/[..], I believe an in game macro editor is way too overkill.

I don't need a list to do something like an in game macro editor. I need a list of macros so I can use the macros from a HTML window if the client has focus on that instead (but still have some level of control, to allow copy paste for example)
I don't think there's any way to export the macro list, even using JS or HTML, unless you're hard-coding maybe using winget()?
Best response
According to this thread on this exact topic:
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=158428#comment676635

Only macros with IDs can be accessed at runtime. The default macros do not have IDs.

As for a general list of all non-printable keys:
http://www.byond.com/docs/notes/macro.html
To add to this, if you're going to create/modify macros using winset(), in the Interface file, you have to have the "macros" file existing, though it can be empty. If it doesn't exist, you cannot create/modify any macros through that method.
In response to Kaiochao
Alright well I'll be adding IDs to every macro then, thanks!
Alright well I'll be adding IDs to every macro then, thanks!

Quick piece of advice. Edit your DMF files in a text editor when dealing with batches of macros. So much faster than using the UI. Believe me.
In response to Ter13
Yup, Sublime keybindings in Atom is exactly what I used to do the changes.
Good man.