ID:2061175

AUMNLS is a common mental illness affecting at least 30-70% of BYOND programmers and developers at any given time. Do you know the signs and symptoms of AUMNLS? Can you spot it in your friends? Remember the initialism!
  • Arrogance: AUMNLS sufferers typically experience an extremely smug form of arrogance, believing themselves to be greater than any or all of their peers. This tends to result in boisterous claims, silly assertions, and generally a flawed perception of themselves and others.
  • Undemonstrated skill: AUMNLS sufferers usually profess to have abilities far exceeding any of their peers or contemporaries, and sometimes exceeding anyone who has ever lived or ever may live. Yet despite these claims, there is a persistent inability to back up these skills with hard evidence. When they do present evidence, it is often contrary to their grandiose claims.
  • Messiah complex: AUMNLS sufferers often feel they are the savior of BYOND, lifting it up to some higher level of existence thanks to their unrivaled ability. Just as often, if not more so, they feel they are unjustly persecuted for their abilities, and hold that it is in fact the unwashed masses around them holding them back from reaching and achieving their true destiny.
  • Narcissism: AUMNLS sufferers can typically not handle any criticism, no matter how small. Their response to criticism varies: some lash out with hostility with no real cohesive arguments, some attack the person criticizing them as well as their work, or deflect the criticism back at the one criticizing them, and others simply dismiss the criticism out of hand as being obviously wrong or ill-informed in some way.
  • Lack of awareness: AUMNLS sufferers often do not recognize their own behavior, and are seemingly blind to their arrogance, outlandish and unjustified claims, messiah/persecution complex, and narcissism. Attempts to point it out to them will fail. Likewise, they do not seem to recognize these same traits in others
  • Stalking accusations: A trait that does not appear as often as the others, but is still associated with the AUMNL cluster. AUMNLS sufferers will often accuse their critics of stalking them, or having some sort of obsession with them, as they feel that invalidates their criticism. This is independent of any sort of evidence for that claim.

Now you know the AUMNLS cluster, so watch out for it!

Be vigilant, and be aware!
You need to stop stalking me, Pop. I'll deport you to the FTC.
That's Baird in a nutshell. As for how that relates to me:

Arrogance: Sure that's me.
Undemonstrated skill: I have selectively demonstrated my ability.
Messiah complex: Baird calls himself a god and claims to be "BYOND's savior". In a way, this does relate to me because I've threatened to become BYOND's Satan/Destroyer a number of times in the past, but that was contemporary to those situations. As long as Lummox isn't giving me a hard time with disputing legal matters, I really don't care about BYOND or the fact that my content is about 90% muted.
Narcissism: Nobody has really criticized me on anything besides my attitude.
Lack of awareness: Sure. I've misinterpreted posts a lot.
Stalking accusations: This is definitely Baird, but not me.

I'd say I have acute AUMNLS, adhering to 2/5 of the listed symptoms, but there's really nothing wrong with a little bit of vanity. I'm working on being more meticulous.
I have no flaws as I am always aware.
I don't release anything because you peasants are not worthy to lay thou eyes on thy code.
And I know you're just posting this to get back at me.
aliums did it
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
aliums did it

Remember kids: it's not a Messiah complex if you actually are the Messiah!

:D
This describes Shane perfectly xD
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
This describes Shane perfectly xD

I had four different people in mind when I wrote this, and it described them all very well. This pattern had been around on BYOND for a loooong time.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
I had four different people in mind when I wrote this, and it described them all very well. This pattern had been around on BYOND for a loooong time.

It's almost like BYOND has a target demographic of the 13-22 crowd.
This triggers me. Not only am I the best programmer here, but you guys seem to think you have the authority to tell me otherwise? Do you see me saying I'm better than anyone else randomly? Of course you don't. You'll all see when I release my game, you'll all understand how much better than you I am when I literally revive BYOND. You've all been on my back since day 1, going out of your ways to discredit me, using excuses like "You haven't released anything yet!". I'm working on it you fools, it'll be the best fucking game you've ever seen you imbeciles.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
This triggers me. Not only am I the best programmer here, but you guys seem to think you have the authority to tell me otherwise? Do you see me saying I'm better than anyone else randomly? Of course you don't. You'll all see when I release my game, you'll all understand how much better than you I am when I literally revive BYOND. You've all been on my back since day 1, going out of your ways to discredit me, using excuses like "You haven't released anything yet!". I'm working on it you fools, it'll be the best fucking game you've ever seen you imbeciles.

What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little ripper? I’ll have you know my soon-to-be-released game will revolutionize BYOND, and I’ve been developing numerous secret codes to train your jutsus, and I have over 300 confirmed lines of code. I am trained in coding and I’m the top coder in the entire BYOND forums. You are nothing to me but just another stalker. I will prove my superiority to you with the ****ing amount of unjustified assumptions the likes of which has never been seen before on these forums, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the pager? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of defenders across my friends list and your forum posts are being looked at right now for something even vaguely related that I think is stupid so you better prepare for the incoherent-and-ignorant ramblings of a lifetime, wannabe. Ramblings that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your reputation on these forums. You’re gonna be ****ing humiliated, loser. I can code anywhere, anytime, and I can program a weather system in over seven hundred successively-worse ways, and that’s just with my one keyboard. Not only am I extensively trained in writing jutsu training codes, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the my one and a half years experience and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable """libraries""" off the face of the BYOND, you little *****. If only you could have known about the 900 posts I'll reply with over the next six minutes that your little “clever” criticism was about to cause, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you god**** idiot. I will **** spaghetti code and ignorant thoughts all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ****ing dead, stalker.
why are you censoring yourself

we're all mature, responsible grown men here
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
why are you censoring yourself

we're all mature, responsible grown men here

Because I'm only twelve and my ***** mom won't let me.
In response to Popisfizzy
LOL
Can't decide who this is making fun of but I have a few guesses lol.
In response to DarkTemplarX96
Not one single person. I had four explicit people in mind when I wrote this, but the inspiration was a pattern I'd seen time and time again on BYOND. E.g., I realized after I'd written it there was a least one or two more people who I had interacted with that I could see it applying to.
Sounds like Derek Smart outside of BYOND. Coincidentally, I was reading about him earlier. :P

As for myself, I don't fit anywhere to have the disorder. Not once have I considered myself the best. I'm more skilled than when I was younger true. However, I'm still not the best.

The saying goes that there is always somebody better than you.

Besides, nobody can be perfect at everything.
In response to Bandock
Bandock wrote:

Not with that attitude.
Bandock said:

Indeed. One should be trying to be the best them instead of the best him.

Topic gave me some laughs. We all have some growing to do, though.
Page: 1 2