ID:2063021

With March behind us, naturally snow is back in the forecast. Hopefully it won't be with us long, and for us BYONDers here in North America hopefully we'll all have a great spring. And what better way to celebrate spring, besides cooking out, than to stay indoors and create a killer Metroidvania action strategy RPG?

This was a week of mainly webclient work, and today's release of 510.1336 should shore up even more on that front. In particular, I found another source of FPS woes, and there was a problem with the map glide not syncing up to the player mob.

I think we're getting super close to finalizing 510, which means 511 is on the horizon--after, likely, a short break to deal with some web stuff. During that time, hopefully I can come up with some ideas for features I've talked about before, like the potential for filters like blur, drop shadow, alpha masking, etc. I think the potential for some really cool stuff is there; it's just a matter of pulling it all together in a way that makes syntactical sense.

Another feature I'm looking at for 511 is true multithreading. Previously this was considered unworkable, but I've figured out a way to sync things up that shouldn't have the headaches our last foray into multithreading did. Realistically, this will probably roll out slowly over multiple releases as it gets applied to more and more things, with the first phase covering access to global and datum vars. I feel pretty good about this working out. Lots of games should benefit from this.

For another challenge, I'm looking at creating a true Mac port for the entire suite, including Dream Seeker. Of course this isn't without its share of difficulties, but the webclient has actually shown me a path forward that wasn't possible before. On the other hand, I don't own a Mac yet, but that's nothing a kidney won't pay for. Luckily, there are tools that should make this transition a lot easier than it was when the idea of a Mac port first came up. So Mac users, rejoice!

Since spring is here more or less, it's time to get your grill on and get your game on too. Make something great, and char some meat to celebrate. Higoten's always looking for good content to throw into his Within BYOND series, and the "Show me what you got" thread is an ongoing fountain of awesome. Get in there and participate with something of your very own!
Lummox JR wrote:
Another feature I'm looking at for 511 is true multithreading. Previously this was considered unworkable, but I've figured out a way to sync things up that shouldn't have the headaches our last foray into multithreading did. Realistically, this will probably roll out slowly over multiple releases as it gets applied to more and more things, with the first phase covering access to global and datum vars. I feel pretty good about this working out. Lots of games should benefit from this.
Oh my...

In response to Ishuri
Ishuri wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Oh my...

I know it's April 1st, but I'll hold you to this forever >:o
April fools!
In response to Pokemonred200
Pokemonred200 wrote:
Ishuri wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Oh my...

I know it's April 1st, but I'll hold you to this forever >:o

Good one Lummox, good one..
In response to Clusterfack
Clusterfack wrote:
April fools!

I hate April Fool's. If he had talked 3D support, I would say he's joking, but as it stands I just don't know.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Clusterfack wrote:
April fools!

I hate April Fool's. If he had talked 3D support, I would say he's joking, but as it stands I just don't know.

That's a cruel joke if he's joking. =(
In response to Lavenblade
Lummox is probably practicing his evil laugh reading these comments
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
Lummox is probably practicing his evil laugh reading these comments

Lummy is a supervillain -- his evil laugh has been mastered for years.
He could also be double bluffing us, by knowingly releasing something on April Fool's that sounds like it's too good to be true, assuming we'll think he's doing an April Fool's day thing and thus aren't sure whether or not to believe him, then go silent over the weekend and let us squirm before revealing it's true.
Fun with acrostics!
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Fun with acrostics!

And then it became clear.
In response to Lummox JR
Another feature I'm looking at for 511 is true multithreading.
Previously this was considered unworkable, but I've figured out a way to sync things up that shouldn't have the headaches our last foray into multithreading did.
Realistically, this will probably roll out slowly over multiple releases as it gets applied to more and more things, with the first phase covering access to global and datum vars.
I feel pretty good about this working out.
Lots of games should benefit from this.

For another challenge, I'm looking at creating a true Mac port for the entire suite, including Dream Seeker.
Of course this isn't without its share of difficulties, but the webclient has actually shown me a path forward that wasn't possible before.
On the other hand, I don't own a Mac yet, but that's nothing a kidney won't pay for.
Luckily, there are tools that should make this transition a lot easier than it was when the idea of a Mac port first came up.
So Mac users, rejoice!
I feel bad because I caught that right away and didn't say anything. I'm not even sure why my brain was like 'that spells something dude...'
In response to Nadrew
Yeah, I remember when Wiles' released his proof of Fermat's last theorem and I was all, "Oh yeah, I had that all down in my notebook." To this day I feel silly for never releasing those notes, but what can you do?
(I only noticed because I was viewing the page in Lynx and it lined up perfectly there by default, shh)
In response to Popisfizzy
Can't tell if joking or a special case of AUMNLS lol
The filter part was actually serious.
Lummox JR wrote:
For another challenge, I'm looking at creating a true Mac port for the entire suite, including Dream Seeker. Of course this isn't without its share of difficulties, but the webclient has actually shown me a path forward that wasn't possible before. On the other hand, I don't own a Mac yet, but that's nothing a kidney won't pay for. Luckily, there are tools that should make this transition a lot easier than it was when the idea of a Mac port first came up. So Mac users, rejoice!

It makes me sad that this was a joke. ):
Page: 1 2